Lens resolving power - can I show Tiff files

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

LVF

Lens resolving power - can I show Tiff files

Post by LVF »

I am photographing a resolution chart with several lens, teleconverters, and extension tubes. I am doing this at varying lens apertures. I believe that Tiff files will show the difference between apertures better than the required posting Jpg files. Is it possible to post Tiff files?

Leon

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Re: Lens resolving power - can I show Tiff files

Post by rjlittlefield »

LVF wrote:Is it possible to post Tiff files?
This forum's upload software does not allow TIFF. Most browsers cannot display TIFF either.

I suggest instead using PNG. That format is supported by the upload software, and by browsers, and has the same lossless properties as TIFF.

Be aware, however, that you will still be subject to the 300 KB limit on file length. Depending on image content, that may limit the pixel dimensions of your PNG image to be less than you would like. In that case you will have to choose between the limited pixel dimensions of PNG, or the least compression of JPEG that will let you fit the number of pixels that you want into 300 KB.
I believe that Tiff files will show the difference between apertures better than the required posting Jpg files.
That's a common belief, but when careful comparisons are done, it seldom turns out to actually be the case. Resolution charts compress nicely with JPG because they are mostly composed of large featureless regions separated by sparse edges. As a result they generally tolerate a high quality setting (light compression), which preserves even the edges quite well. The biggest problem for JPEG is with images that are richly detailed all over the image, almost the antithesis of a resolution chart.

--Rik

LVF

Post by LVF »

Thank you. I will explorer using Png. However, I guess the use of Jpg in this case is O.K.

Leon

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic