Frog decline

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

JoanYoung

Frog decline

Post by JoanYoung »

Here is something interesting on the decline of the frog population.

http://www.5050.co.za/inserts.asp?ID=4697
Joan Young

Mike B in OKlahoma

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

They are talking about this in the US also....As mentioned, UV exposure or habitat destruction are leading candidates for causes. I've also heard general industrial pollution (on the theory that frogs are more sensitive) or just an infestation of fungus or disease blamed. I haven't a clue myself.

But at least the depleted frogs won't be able to finish off the threatened bees!
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

JoanYoung

Post by JoanYoung »

What species is not on the decline Mike??? Sad but true, overpopulation of their habitats and global warming the main reasons for this.
Joan Young

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

I am no zoologist but my best guess is global warming and the increase in UV radiation weakening the frogs resistance to skin infecting fungi. I know Spring Peepers are really in bad shape over here. :(

JoanYoung

Post by JoanYoung »

You are right Ken. I am glad I will not be around in a hundred or so years time to see the effects of UV rays on the fauna and flora of our world.
In certain countries, like Afica and probable South America, there is definitely the added problem of population explosion taking over a lot of the habitat.
Joan Young

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic