Interesting news item: spider in amber

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

gpmatthews

Interesting news item: spider in amber

Post by gpmatthews »

Graham

Though we lean upon the same balustrade, the colours of the mountain are different.

Mike B in OKlahoma

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

1 mm across, and full sharp DOF from top to bottom? Must be one of Rik's shots!!! :lol:
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Mike B in OKlahoma wrote:1 mm across, and full sharp DOF from top to bottom? Must be one of Rik's shots!!! :lol:
Even better! This image of the spider can be rolled around in real time and stay sharp, without even any stacking artifacts! :shock:

The imaging technique described by the article is called Very High Resolution X-Ray Computed Tomography. What that means is, they shined X-rays through it at a huge number of different angles, then computed what the absorbance was for each tiny volume ("voxel") of the subject and its surrounding matrix, the amber. A thresholding algorithm then decided what was amber, what was spider, on a voxel-by-voxel basis. That 3D cloud of points then probably got run through a surface-fitting algorithm to make a nice model of the spider's skin, and finally a 3D graphics rendering algorithm (think video games!) produced a picture with realistic lighting.

This is very cool technology. A larger-scale version of it has been developed for use in "virtual colonoscopy" and a wide variety of other medical procedures.

--Rik

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic