With the help of this forum, my photos are getting better

Lets get to know each other better. Here's a forum to post images and short autobiographies of ourselves as well as any other info you would like to post about yourself.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

timmymac

With the help of this forum, my photos are getting better

Post by timmymac »

I'm new to this photomacrography niche, and still learning. And the learning curve is very steep!

Recently while cleaning out my garage, I found some Zeiss objectives from a decommissioned machine. Trying to use the 10x objective with my Panasonic GX8 m4/3 camera led me down the rabbit hole of focus stacking (with Helicoid Focus) and this site. Unfortunately, the m4/3 lenses I have behave poorly as tube lenses. I ordered the Nikkor 200mm F4 Non-AI lens, and I'm impatiently waiting for it's arrival.

I went to 8020.net (an awesome site) and ordered up the parts to make a vibration resistant vertical stacking frame (I'll post assembly pictures when the parts arrive). My current configuration is very shakey at best. Those parts should arrive in a week or so.

I've recently received the EL-Nikkor 50/2.8 lens (waiting for the adapters to reverse it). What a sweet lens... Between the EL-Nikkor 5x, and Zeiss 10x and 50x, and a Leitz 20x objective, I think I have the full gamut of magnification covered. Now it's down to working on my technique.

My pictures have improved dramatically in the past couple of weeks, thanks to tips and information provided by members of this forum. There is an amazing depth of knowledge that is freely and cheerfully exchanged on this site. Someday, I hope to be able to provide help to others. In the meantime, I'll mostly be lurking while building stacked images.
Never stop learning!

zzffnn

Post by zzffnn »

Welcome to the forum, Tim!

Your Zeiss and Leitz objectives are of infinity design, correct? Do you know if they need compensating eyepieces?

With a micro four thirds sensor, you can probably even use a 80mm tube lens, if image cone provided by objective is wide enough. That way, you can turn your infinity 10x objective into a 4x, which would provide better resolution and correction than your El-Nikkor at 5x. 100mm or 125mm tube lens is a safer bet, if you don't need low magnification.
Selling my Canon FD 200mm F/2.8 lens

timmymac

Post by timmymac »

Well, I meant to reply here, but my reply ended up as a new thread. Sigh... Danged computers!
Never stop learning!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic