www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Mitutoyo 7.5x defective
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Mitutoyo 7.5x defective

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Equipment Exchange
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChrisR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Mitutoyo 7.5x defective Reply with quote

Reminder:
As discovered by Chris S., and previously reported.
Defective Mitutoyo 7.5x/0.21 serial number is R33036811.

It may be on ebay again.
100% test doesn't mean it passed the test...
Chris S.
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Mitutoyo 7.5x defective Reply with quote

I echo ChrisR's advice to be cautious about this lens.

Am nearly certain that photographs shown for eBay item 262953739749 are of a lens I tested and found defective. (If anyone cares to see the test images, with comparisons against a "known-good" specimen, PM me.) The serial number of the specimen I tested (as listed by ChrisR) matches the serial number of the eBay lens pictured, for those digits of the serial number that can be read. The scrapes on the front of the eBay lens exactly match my recollection of the tested lens. So either this is the lens I tested, or the vendor is showing photos of a different lens from the one on offer, without disclosure (a practice I detest).

I sent a message to the vendor asking for the serial number of the lens. Vendor replied: "hello ,what do you need serial number ?"[sic]

I answered: "I myself tested the lens shown in your pictures, and it failed these tests--it is defective. However, if you are selling a different lens from the one in the pictures, it might be good."

So far, there has been no reply.

--Chris S.
Lou Jost

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is great that you were so alert to catch that. Ebay can be a cesspool, but a little policing might go far to make our particular eBay alcove a bit safer to swim in. Thanks for doing that!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Equipment Exchange All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: