Adapter to connect Canon EOS camera to Bausch & Lomb mic

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

nucmedm3

Adapter to connect Canon EOS camera to Bausch & Lomb mic

Post by nucmedm3 »

I'm a newbie on micrography world and excited to learn more :)
I just acquired an old Bausch & Lomb microscope with SLR attachment. I'm looking for what adapter I need to attach my Canon 60D. The camera attachment is part # 42-12-30 with Olympus C-35 camera. I bought an Olympus OM to Canon EOS but that did not work.
I need help to find the correct adapter I need to attach Canon 60D. I attached pix for reference.

Thank you everyone in advance!

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Hi nucmedm3, welcome aboard!

What you have is not a SLR but a dedicated microscope camera, likely both the mount and flange distance is different of the Olympus OM SLR of its time.

So if you want to use the adapter likely you would need to do some surgery. Other members could know the mount and possible adaptations, but in principle the flange focus distance (from the camera mount to the sensor) seems clearly shorter than the Canon's, a mirrorless camera could be easier to adapt in this case.

Please remove the camera from the adapter and show us a picture of the mount and also measure the distance from the camera mount to the film plane.
Pau

nucmedm3

Post by nucmedm3 »

Thanks Pau!

I will take pix tonight when I get home from work.

nucmedm3

Post by nucmedm3 »

Pau,

I tried to take as much pix as I can. I cannot open the curtain part to get accurate measurement that you requested. I showed measurement on the thickness of the camera. Hope the pix helps.

Thanks again!

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Thanks for posting the images.

As guessed the bajonet mount is not standard OM.

If the camera still works you must be able to open the shutter just turning the arrowed wheel clock wise until it stops and pressing the shutter button. In any case you can approximately measure the flange distance because the plane focal camera shutter must be very close to the film plane, no more than 2 or 3 mm. Anyway it seems too short to be adapted to the Canon.

I'm curious if once the camera si dismounted your microscope phototube has an eyepiece or other optics, if so other approaches like afocal could be simpler. (again, images of the microscope phototube without the camera could help)
Pau

nucmedm3

Post by nucmedm3 »

Thanks again Pau!

Shutter does not work. I think you are right that I might need surgery to be able to mount Canon if I want to pursue on this route.

I've been reading about Amscope microscope adapter for Canon and maybe this is my best route for now to take photos. The one that can be inserted in one of the eyepieces. Do you or anybody in forum has experience with Amscope adapter?

Thanks!

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

The one that can be inserted in one of the eyepieces. Do you or anybody in forum has experience with Amscope adapter?
I've seen at the forum mixed results, from awful* to pretty decent**.
Be aware that if your microscope do need compensating eyepieces it will not correct so the image will show more chromatic aberration (Sorry, I no experience nor enough info with these american microscopes)

As you say it must be inserted in the place of an eyepiece, having a trinocular head what you want is to profit the microscope phototube, so, again, to give any useful advice we need info about the phototube design and its optics.
If the phototube has or can hold an eyepiece at the right height likely there are better quality solutions than the Amscope.

* http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... p?p=140518
** http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... p?p=166055
Pau

nucmedm3

Post by nucmedm3 »

Hi Pau!

I appreciate the links you sent me.
I attached some photos related to the camera port and hope that helps. There's a lever to close and open the camera port. I don't think there's optics inside once I removed the camera assembly.

I will still give Amscope a try to get me started and please let me know what would be the best route to pursue the camera port for a better quality image.

Thanks again!

Close:
Open:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic