first post spider & fly

Just bought that first macro lens? Post here to get helpful feedback and answers to any questions you might have.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

gremlin

first post spider & fly

Post by gremlin »

This is my first post here. I've been playing with enlarger & microfilm lenses over the past few weeks. These are hand held shots with an Olympus microfilm lens, stacked in photoshop. A Drone Fly and a Wolf spider? which was about 10mm long.
I'm quite pleased for my first attempts though I'm sure there are ways to improve. I used photoshop for stacking as I have it so worth a try to start with.Image

microman

Post by microman »

Looks like clean stacks to me. Good captures ! Handheld is not easy.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

gremlin, welcome aboard! :D

The stacks look like great starts. Live subjects are not simple.

The fly has a large loss-of-detail halo surrounding the left-side antenna, and other areas on the face that are blurred where I'm pretty sure that there's a sharp source image in your stack. That's a typical error for Photoshop to make, so no worries at this point.

--Rik

gremlin

Post by gremlin »

thanks guys, i might have a look through the fly stacks to see if there should be some more detail in those areas. I've read there are better stacking programs but thought i'd start with what I have to see how i get on.
looks like a summer of fun ahead

David

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

gremlin wrote:I've read there are better stacking programs but thought i'd start with what I have to see how i get on.
That makes perfect sense. Yes, any of the dedicated stacking programs will be much better than Photoshop. My personal favorite is Zerene Stacker, but then again I wrote that one so I'm biased. Helicon Focus is also good, and CombineZP is free (but orphaned, it seems).

--Rik

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic