Bird`s Nest Fungus..Crucibulum laeve

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

beetleman

Bird`s Nest Fungus..Crucibulum laeve

Post by beetleman »

I was walking around the town today and spotted these little fungi in someones mulched flowerbed (the same one I found the dog vomit fungus in). As you might see, I have something inside my camera which I will have to have somebody take out because My lenses do not come off :cry: (upper left area, you can see it on the fresh orange fungus). Another strange and wonderful fungus that has a very unusual way of dispersing its` spores. Info here: http://www.mushroomexpert.com/crucibulum_laeve.html and a link to an illustration of the life cycle. http://waynesword.palomar.edu/pljun96b.htm

Last edited by beetleman on Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Bruce Williams

Post by Bruce Williams »

Very nice pics of a most unusual fungus - very interesting links too.

Thanks for posting.

Bruce :D

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Pretty interesting there Doug. I found some of those things a few days back, pretty neat looking I think. :D Canon might clean your sensor for nothing by the way, if not expect about a $30.00 charge for cleaning and a check up. :roll: I had my 20D cleaned a good while back and it was back in about a little over one week. :)

Mike B in OKlahoma

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

Dog's vomit, and bird's nests....Don't these people ever clean up the awful stuff that gets left in their garden? They're lowering property values, that's what they're doing!!!!

Neat photos, I'm sad to hear that you have something loose inside your camera. I hope getting it cleaned up goes smoothly. Or you could always use this as an excuse to get a new camera!!! :-)
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Yep, nothing like that "new camera smell" Doug! :wink:

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

I am thinking about that....My wife wants a "Black" camera. She says Black cameras are better than "silver" cameras because all the cameras in my photography magazine are usually black....I will agree with that! hehehehehe :lol:
Doug Breda

salden

Post by salden »

Interesting subjects little subject. I need to go back out in my garden and look closer to see if I have these things.

I vote for a new camera. It is like a vehicle. You take it in for one thing, and before you know it they have replaced the entire engine - get a new camera.
Sue Alden

Leif

Post by Leif »

Hello Doug

That is a nice find, but I would like to make a small correction. The species you have photographed is Crucibulum laeve, and not Cyathus olla. You can tell by the shape, which is like a barrel, and the colouring, which is orange and white. C. olla is shaped like an ice cream cone, and the outside is brown and coarsely hairy. It is also a bit bigger. Neither species is common, at least not where I live. I always keep my eye open for some, but sadly rarely see any.

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Welcome to the forums Leif, we hope you make yourself at home and enjoy our family of international friends. Thank you very much for your ID, corrections are always welcome :smt023. I did some more web searching and they are very much different in color and size. The yellow color is the deciding factor for sure.
Doug Breda

Leif

Post by Leif »

Thanks. Glad you didn't mind the correction. I hope I can find some this year. Leif

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic