Hi from sunny South Africa

Lets get to know each other better. Here's a forum to post images and short autobiographies of ourselves as well as any other info you would like to post about yourself.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

JoanYoung

Hi from sunny South Africa

Post by JoanYoung »

Hello Everyone,
This is the first time I will be posting something on this wonderful forum after being encouraged to do so by a very good friend of mine. I have only been doing macro or close-up photography for three or four months, so I am still pretty new at it and hope that you will not be too harsh on me, but I look forward to any and all criticism, good or bad, which will help me to improve.
Up to now I have been doing slide photography of wildlife using four Canon Cameras, two very old ones and two EOS’s, but as I am not working in that environment anymore, I decided to buy a small point and shoot for fun pictures, nothing serious. Having worked with sides and normal SLR cameras, I found the small size, fixed lens, digital format and smaller subjects to be a bit of a challenge in the beginning and almost decided that this was not for me. But I kept on getting these kind words of encouragement, and well, it was fun anyway. It is great having a delete button!! LOL!!
I am from South Africa and it might be interesting to note the differences in the species we have here compared to the USA and elsewhere. I must warn you that I know absolutely nothing about insects, and so am bound to get names wrong, even species on occasions. But as I go along, and the people of this forum help me, I am sure I will learn a lot.
I have always been interested in all facets of nature and do not specifically like any one thing, so I take photos of flowers, insects, reptiles, fungi, the weather or anything which looks interesting.
There are some terrific pictures on this site and I am sure I am not good enough to post pictures amongst all of these, but it might be of interest.
Joan Young

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Welcome aboard Joan, I am sure you will do fine. We have a great bunch of shooters on here, both macro and micro and you will find a great deal of good sound advice and constructive criticism as well. As for your point and shoot equipment, there are a number of us, self included, who began only with point and shoot type cameras, so not to worry. Again welcome aboard. :D

I see you solved your image uploader problem, good :smt023

JoanYoung

Post by JoanYoung »

Thank you for the welcome Ken. I hope I can post something of interest to everyone.
Joan Young

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic