Fungus Among Us, eh?

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Ken Ramos

Fungus Among Us, eh?

Post by Ken Ramos »

We have had a couple of days rain and we really need more but it was enough to spawn this profuse "troop," as Bruce would say, of fungi. Don't know the ID but I would imagine we would have some sever liver damage here if they were ingested. Dunno :-k

Canon G7
Manual/macro mode, hand held, IS = On
My Colors = neutral, AWB
1/250 sec. @ f/7.1 ISO 80
Onboard flash @ 2/3rds., second curtain
Sunny, deep forest shade :D

Bruce Williams

Post by Bruce Williams »

...but I bet they look appetising to a slug! They seem to be able to eat just about any fungus without getting an upset stomach (I'm assuming there is a stomach involved somewhere in a slug's digestive system) :lol: .

While trying to identify a recent posting I came across a statistic stating that there are at least 20,000 species of fungi in the UK (mostly tiny or microscopic). To me this was both was both pleasing (more subjects to photograph :D ) and depressing (unlikelihood that I would be able to identify my subject :cry: ) at the same time.

So Ken, how many species are there for you to photograph and identify in the USA :lol: .

Bruce

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Bruce wrote:
So Ken, how many species are there for you to photograph and identify in the USA . :lol:
Well Bruce, with adaquate moisture or rainfall, I would guess thousands if not more. Though like in the UK, I think most would probably be microscopic or near that. During my hikes, I have noticed numerous tiny mushrooms growing everywhere, though I would fear that they would not make very interesting photographs unless you were really into investigating these tiny fungi. :-k

Thanks Bruce :D

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Excellent photos Ken, I can almost smell the earthy woods smell when you take pictures like this (which I miss very much with my new job :cry: )
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

You know Doug, now that you mention it, they did put up a bit of a stink :lol: Thanks Doug :D

JoanYoung

Post by JoanYoung »

Great pics Ken. I am glad I am not a slug as it does not look like a very appetising meal. :lol:
Joan Young

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Thanks Joan, hey I like your avatar! :D What puzzles me is that how the slugs get away with not being poisoned by these fungi. Since most of these things cause liver damage or failure, it could just be due to the fact that slugs don't have livers...maybe! :-k :lol:

JoanYoung

Post by JoanYoung »

Thanks Ken. I wish I was a slug then I could drink more LOL!!
Joan Young

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic