Hetero-Basidiomycetes-Tremellales-The Jelly Fungi 3

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Walter Piorkowski

Hetero-Basidiomycetes-Tremellales-The Jelly Fungi 3

Post by Walter Piorkowski »

All three images
Scale of frame, 3.5mm horizontal
Canon 10D
.7 inch f.l. B&H lens @ f/4 on extension tubes
Series of 60 images at .001 inch increments
Series of 45 images at .001 inch increments
Series of 50 images at .001 inch increments
Diffused fiber optic illumination
Combine ZM, Photoshop

Taking a myxo break for a while, I have some jelly fungi for you to enjoy. I do not have an identification for them. As is usually the case, they were found on a rotting log.

Walt

Erland R.N.

Post by Erland R.N. »

Really high magnification and still lots of details. The second one is the most pleasing to my eyes.

Erland

Walter Piorkowski

Thank you Erland. I was most fortunate to find the old cine lens used for these images. These old lenses, now considered junk by todays young digital imagers, can produce excellant images.
Walt

arlon

Post by arlon »

Very nice pictures. What kind of focus rail are you using to give .001 control? I assume you are using fixed focus and moving the camera rather than fixing the camera and moving the focus. Any comments and when to use one method or the other? Just started using combineZM and I'm on a steep learning curve.
D50,100 IR, 90, 700, 800E and a box of old manual lenses.

Walter Piorkowski

Hello Arlon. Instead of a focusing rail I use a compound slide positioning table, which is in turn mounted to a rotary compound slide table. You only need the compound slide table to start. If this description means nothing to you take a look at these items in an industrial supply catalogue or web site like J&L for example. These tables have graduated dials on their handles allowing you to position to .001 inch increments but I prefer using machinists dial indicator which I have attached to my table. Again look these up in the catalogue.

You must use a fixed focus camera arrangement at all times, have the subject fixed in position and move the camera. I start my first image as deep into the subject as I feel the subject warrants and then move the camera out at the.001 inch increment until I have the subject no longer in focus. It is best to determine how much the camera will be moved based on the lenses widest opening. Whether you need to move as little as .001 inch depends on your magnification and final f/ratio setting. You need to do a lot of experimenting and make lots of mistakes but keep trying till you find out what works well for you. Good luck.

Walt

arlon

Post by arlon »

I have a compound slide on a drill press but it weighs about 30 lbs. Not what I want to lug into the field. Maybe if I brought the field into it..

Thanks for the info, certainly leaves food for thought. Arlon
D50,100 IR, 90, 700, 800E and a box of old manual lenses.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic