www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Video shows bacteria evolving drug resistance as you watch
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Video shows bacteria evolving drug resistance as you watch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum and Community Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris S.
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:24 pm    Post subject: Video shows bacteria evolving drug resistance as you watch Reply with quote

Perhaps a bit off topic, but many of us here are interested in effective visual communication of scientific information. To my eye, this example is brilliant: Dramatic Video Shows Bacteria Evolving Drug Resistance as You Watch. (Scroll down slightly for the video.)

More information here.

--Chris
GaryB

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Jeff Goldblum said.. nature will always find a way. A brilliant demonstration of adaptation in action.
mikeatnip

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting video. It made me think, though, of the quote by Mark Twain: "There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.”
Very Happy

I would certainly be slow to make such grand announcements (as the author of the blog site did) of proving this or that with this experiment. Other options sound more plausible to me. Like, if you place the bacteria next to a low dose of the chemical, they can build immunity to the toxin. Like getting a measles shot vs. being stuck straight into a room full of measles patients.

If this was "random genetic" changes as proposed, one would not need to start with a low dose, because the random change could just as likely be a change that could handle 10, 100, or 1000 potency ... if it was random. And, if one placed other toxic substances next to the bacteria (acidic, saline, h202, or even heat), then within two weeks random mutations would also just as likely happen to let the bacteria grow in that toxin.
But it appears that this experiment can only be replicated using this specific strain with one specific toxin. That leads me to conjecture that this is not "random mutations" but a built-in immunity that the species (or at least some strains or specimens) kick in when needed ... if they are given the right conditions.

But wait, what was Twain saying about "wholesale returns of conjecture"?

I think I will return now to my current issue of trying to get a decent photo out of my microscope. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum and Community Announcements All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: