Milkweed Assassin Bug-Zelus longipes

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

jaharris1001

Milkweed Assassin Bug-Zelus longipes

Post by jaharris1001 »

Like other members of its family, the horned assassin bug uses the sharp stylets in its proboscis first like a syringe and then like a straw. One stylet punctures its prey and injects saliva to paralyze its meal; then another stylet sucks up the bodily fluids of its hapless victim. Once the assassin bug completes its dinner, the tip of the proboscis tucks neatly into a groove on its post sternum (roughly the equivalent of a human breastbone).

Bruce Williams

Post by Bruce Williams »

Very interesting post Jim - thanks for the info on the bug. I find yellow and orange particularly difficult in terms of exposure and detail so I think you've done a pretty good job with this very brightly coloured assasin :D .

Bruce

jaharris1001

Post by jaharris1001 »

Thanks Bruce :smt023

arlon

Post by arlon »

Nice picture. I like the colors too, but I like the description better..

These are pretty amazing little predators. I've watched them hunting and they are pretty good. They have long, sticky, hairy front legs and they use them to trap prey. I got stung by one in the yard this year and they have a VICIOUS sting. I've been stung by a lot of things (wasp, bees, hornets and such) but nothing has come even close to be tagged by an assassin bug.

To see one with prey CLICK_HERE
D50,100 IR, 90, 700, 800E and a box of old manual lenses.

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

WOW. I never saw one with that color before. Very nice image Jim.
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

jaharris1001

Post by jaharris1001 »

Thanks Doug,, I've seen quite a few of these around and after talking with Ken abour Assassin's, I thought this was a member,,and I was right :D
Thanks Arlon,, I have heard these have a viscous bite/sting,, much more painfull than a bee,, I guess you learned from first hand experience huh :shock:

arlon

Post by arlon »

Yes, I found out the hard way just how bad they are. I'd take a nest of yellow jackets to an assassin bug. Fortunately they aren't agressive. I got stung when I pulled a weed with an assassin bug under a leaf. I grabbed the weed, pulled up and thought I got stung by scorpion or something on the back of my thumb. Pain is instant and enough to make my eyes water.. It lasted for half an hr too.

I give them their space now and use gloves if I pull ANYTHING out of the garden!
D50,100 IR, 90, 700, 800E and a box of old manual lenses.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic