Critique request

Just bought that first macro lens? Post here to get helpful feedback and answers to any questions you might have.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

fbuitrag

Critique request

Post by fbuitrag »

So this is my first complete attempt to macro. This time I used Nikon 18-55 lens reversed at ~50mm focal along with 36mm extension tube. 10 pictures using rail (moving forward/backward) under sun light but mixed with off camera flash

Processed using helicon (trial period), a bit of cropping due to mirroring issue on the edges:

Thanks

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Suggestions:
Try diffusing the light more a(nother) intermediate layer of tissue paper perhaps.
Try without any ambient/sun light, so you just use flash. Then you can tell if you have movement blur.
I expect you will have to experiment to find the best aperture.

There are some stacking artefacts , for instance above the top of the fly's eyes. I believe lesser version of versions of Helicon have lesser retouching options, so you' may have to use a photoshop-type program.

Still, not bad at all!
Chris R

fbuitrag

Post by fbuitrag »

This one is inside. One flashlight from top right. I changed the diffuser. Any better ?

for now I am using reverse lens and have no control of aperture (I expect to receive one that does soon). this one has no post processing (other than stacking)

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Yes, :) it looks like you could lift the shadows if you wanted. (Yep, I just tried - there's plenty there.)
If the highlights have gone, there's nothing you can do. Getting it just right isn't very easy. It never really matches the histogram..

If it's a "G" series lens you'll be at minimum aperture. Closing a bit would improve sharpness a bit.
You can put a small piece of card in the slot where the iris control is, to close the aperture partly.

It looks like it could be alive - it's not I assume??

[Edit - I typed maximum instead of minimum]
Last edited by ChrisR on Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris R

fbuitrag

Post by fbuitrag »

Thanks Crhis, you have been very helpful. I appreciate your help :D

No, it is not live.. I started on a new hobby... Picking up dead bugs... :) (not sure my wife like this new hobby though)

Lens: I have a stiff paper stuck in the aperture level probably half way.. (not fully open), hard to say what aperture it is... I got the EL nikkor 50m but I am waiting for the step up ring... With that I would be able to control it.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

"OK, Cheaper than lenses", was my wife's reaction to dead bugs arriving in the fridge.

Sorry I got the open/closed thing backwards. "Middling" is probably good enough, for the aperture set that way.

Yes the El Nik should be easier to use - if not as flexible.
Chris R

fbuitrag

Post by fbuitrag »

Took this one with a homemade diffuser.

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

ChrisR wrote:"OK, Cheaper than lenses", was my wife's reaction to dead bugs arriving in the fridge.
Reminds me of the photographers last request. "Please don't let my wife sell my camera equipment for what I told her it cost" :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic