Shooting at lesser magnification to increase DOF?

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

cactuspic

Shooting at lesser magnification to increase DOF?

Post by cactuspic »

Recently, I was corresponding with another macro shooter who stated:

"...but the inherent narrow DoF, even at f/16, quite often leaves some of the subject outside of acceptable focus. Quite often, we will photograph a subject at less than 1:1 mag, but deeper DoF. We then crop to the same size as if shot at 1:1, but now with a better DoF."

I know depth of field can be an elusive concept when pressed, but the statement runs counter to my gut instincts. It seems to me that at a consistent fixed viewing distance, the depth of field is also a function of enlargement. It begs for an experimental test that I will be unable conduct until I get back into my studio (in another 2 weeks.) In the interim, my curiosity is burning. Has anyone confronted this question before? Can you improve depth of field over the depth of field attainable at 1:1 by taking the images at a lesser magnification and subsequently cropping the image to a comparable size?

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

If what you want is lower resolution and more noise...it will work, in fact it's like shooting with a smaller aperture (and so smaller NA) with the added inconvenience of using only a part of the sensor.

It's like inventing a perpetual movement machine, interesting at first though if you ignore Physics laws but...
Pau

cactuspic

Post by cactuspic »

Thanks, Pau. In applying the no free lunch rule, I was wondering where the payment would come from.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

You can get an extra benefit from cropping...

If you're photographig, say, a butterfly, whose wings are in a plane which is at an angle to your sensor, you can twist your camera to align them better.
Then you can crop off the side of the image you don't want.

Not as nice as a tilting lens, but hey.
Chris R

cactuspic

Post by cactuspic »

Thanks Chris. I do play with a homemade tilting macro lens, a reversed 90mm APO Componon, but it is not the quickest or most elegant to adjust when photographing lively critters.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

No it's not, is it! I've tried a few floppy bellows arrangements. Much easier to tilt the camera about (though it doesn't work as well) but it's hard to not use all those pixels we paid so much for even if we only need a small image.
This ties in with your other shooter's quote about "acceptable focus" and "better dof". It can be better to give up some sharpness in the sharpest parts to get more of the image recognizable - acceptably sharp. ?
Chris R

cactuspic

Post by cactuspic »

Agreed Chris. It's a decision I have made with the diffraction devil :evil: many times...gladly. :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic