www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Will it vignette?
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Will it vignette?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Equipment Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JH

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 9:24 am    Post subject: Will it vignette? Reply with quote

Will it Vignette?

I have tried my 400mm 5,6 Canon tele objective on my microscope - it does not vignette at f 5.6 with a microscope objective - I have tested with some Nikons and Mitutoyos. Stopping down the rear lens causes vignetting, easily noticeable at f10.

OFN on Nikons are 25mm so I guess that I can use a 360 mm lens and still get a god picture all the way to the corners on a FF sensor.

I am considering to buy a 360mm f9 enlarger lens (Ronar or Gerogon) and use it as a tube lens, but before I do I would like to know if any one knows if they will Vignette on a FF sensor.

Regards Jörgen
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is very unlikely that the enlarger lenses will vignette. At 360 mm focal length and f/9, their entrance pupil diameter will be 40 mm diameter. The entrance pupil will probably be located near the center of the lens, only a few cm back from the front surface. This combination of a large entrance pupil, close to the objective, means that the tube lens is very unlikely to block any light that gets through the objective.

--Rik
ray_parkhurst

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those long focal length process lenses were designed for mag ratios around 1:1, so are probably not going to work well as a tube lens for infinity-corrected objectives.

Edited to add: the extension required even for infinity focus is also fairly prohibitive.
JH

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rik and Ray

So if I understand this right, probably no vignetting but might not be the quality I am after due to the fact that these lenses was optimized for 1:1.

Guess the only way to be sure is to buy one and do some testing. Very Happy

Regards Jörgen
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JH wrote:
Guess the only way to be sure is to buy one and do some testing. Very Happy

True enough.

Personally, I'm not very worried about aberrations in the tube lens, considering that sticking a Mitutoyo objective in front of a 360 mm tube lens will stop it down to about f/32 (or narrower, for objectives at 20X and above).

--Rik
JH

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for the advice!

I have tested with an APO Ronar 360 mm and a Nikon TU plan 10x 0,3. There is no vissible vignetting, the picture quality seems to be OK all the way to the corners on a Canon 5D mark II (FF sensor).

Regards Jörgen

JH

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two test pictures with a 40x lens at
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31211

No problems with corners or colors.

I also did some testing with other lenses. To my surprise the Canon macro photo lens 35mm works quite well with this tube lens. But it does not have the same resolution as a 10x Na 0.3.

Regards

Jörgen
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Equipment Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: