Unidentified Peritrich

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

gpmatthews

Unidentified Peritrich

Post by gpmatthews »

Microscope: Zeiss Standard GFL
Ocular: Zeiss Kpl W 10/18
Objective: Leitz 40/0.7 ICT NPL Fluotar
Subsage: Leitz ICT
Differential Interference Contrast
Flash

These aloricate epiphytic peritrichs occurred as individuals with short indistinct stalks (not contractile). Nearest I can find in Jahn or Patterson is Rhabdostyla, but Jahn says they are found on copepods. So, any ideas on identity?
Graham

Though we lean upon the same balustrade, the colours of the mountain are different.

Erik

Post by Erik »

Hello Matthews,

Nice shot!!! Maybe it is Scyphidia constricta, but I'm not sure. How was the sureface of the peritrich?

Erik

bernhardinho

Post by bernhardinho »

Hi Graham

well, Rhabdostyla belongs to the family Epistylidae and doesn't feature a lorica!! So we can surely exclude that one.

To come up with a better idea, one needs to see more details. I would sort of guess on either Thuricola kellicottiana or a Cothurnia of some sort.

Bernhard

bernhardinho

Post by bernhardinho »

Hi again

just found out that I fell into a language trap: " aloricate" means "without lorica", right? My dictionary is just not hip enough :?

So forget about the nonsense I wrote above

Although, having said that I sort of discern something like a lorica there, but may be it`s just an illusion :oops:

See you

Bernhard :-({|=

gpmatthews

Post by gpmatthews »

Sorry, Bernhard, it wasn't a deliberate trap :twisted: , honestly!

This animalcule does not have a lorica. The body itself is contractile, although I agree the DIC image makes it look like it has lorica-like margins.
Graham

Though we lean upon the same balustrade, the colours of the mountain are different.

bernhardinho

Post by bernhardinho »

Graham

I just discovered the peritrich group of the Aloricata in Kahl. So I take this as being a technical term and not an average english word, is it? Which would excuse myself :smt045 \:D/

Actually I didn't know this group. What I read in the book by Kahl, is that these critters have given up sessile life. One exception being Scyphidia and I think Erik could have hit it there :wink:

Cheers Bernhard

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic