www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Zeiss DIC question
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Zeiss DIC question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Equipment Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
75RR

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 4:13 am    Post subject: Zeiss DIC question Reply with quote

Does anybody (without getting too technical) know why the Zeiss DIC (adapter rings and individual sliders version) was designed for the Plan Objectives
and would the Plan 40/0.65 DIC Slider despite this work with any of the other Zeiss 40x objectives?
Was hoping to get it to work with an Apo 40/1.0

Perl

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Not sure but think it will work
most DIC Components are "forgiving" in set up
read somewhere that dic slider must be whitin 30 deg
to work relative pol beam - so this is not rocket science

Regards
Pär
Cactusdave

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is worth experimenting. The Plan 40/0.65 DIC slider definitely works, and works well with the Zeiss Planapo 40/0.95 with Correction Collar objective using the position II prism in the DIC condenser on my Zeiss Standard. I have the Zeiss Apo 40/1.0 oil, but not tried it with DIC. I avoid oil immersion when I can. My feeling is that it is always worth trying miss-matched objective/slider pairs. Even partial or uneven background DIC can be worthwhile. Let us know what the result is Smile
75RR

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks Pär and Cactusdave - will just have to keep my fingers crossed. Will let you know how it went.
wpo

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 4:54 am    Post subject: DIC ZEISS Reply with quote

Hi,

the old ZEISS Apo 40/1,0 Oil CZO (Carl Zeiss Oberkochen) gives excellent result in combination with the older DIC with general main Prism above of the nosepiece and I know that there is a pretty good combination possible with one of the individual sliders of the new (last manufactured) DIC too. May be that the Plan 40/0,75 silder is not the best working slider in combination with the Apo 40/1,0. The Problem is, that I have no chance at the moment for looking about this problem at my home lab to give you any advice. You have to make some experiments yourselve with different sliders if possible or wait a few weeks until I'm at home again.

The old Apo 40/1,0 Oil is really a topclass objektive if there is no need of flatness in the field of view.

Additional information: the DIC for Plan 40 will not (!) work with the oldest Plan 40 objektives until number.... ? (Same problem, I cannot get any information about that at the moment)

Best regards

Wolfgang

Last edited by wpo on Tue May 31, 2016 8:17 am; edited 1 time in total
75RR

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Wolfgang,

good to know the the Apo 40/1.0 is a good objective in its own right.

With any luck I should have an answer in a few weeks myself.
Ichthyophthirius

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

There is a combination that works for the Planapo 40/1,0 Oel according to this http://www.microscopeitaly.it/2009/11/30/zeiss-nomarski-d-i-c-160mm-terza-e-ultima-versione/
although the page doesn't mention which one it is Smile I'll have to ask Arthuro.

An issue with the Planapo 40/1,0 Oel is that it was never designed for DIC so the exit pupil isn't fixed between different product generations (it was probably is production for about 30 years) and the lens design did change, so results may differ. You'll have to run your own tests.

Regards, Ichty
75RR

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ichty,

I see what you mean. It could be the 100x, 63x,40x or the 16x slider and I only have the 40x and the 63x.

The other problem is that I am getting an Apo 40/1.0 rather than the Planapo 40/1.0 so it may not work at all. :(
Ichthyophthirius

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

75RR wrote:
I am getting an Apo 40/1.0

Right, Embarassed I can't read.

I haven't seen any tests for the Apo 40 but the Apo 40 works well with the old Zeiss INKO system (the first generation with common main prism) so there is hope.

Regards, Ichty
75RR

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we all tend to read Planapo automatically.
So, big + on Apos if reasonably priced and if one is not imaging microtome sections?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Equipment Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: