Is this an F mount lens? Schneider Kreuznach 50/2.2 Xenon

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

austrokiwi1

Is this an F mount lens? Schneider Kreuznach 50/2.2 Xenon

Post by austrokiwi1 »

I have been keeping an eye out for the SK emerald versions of their Xenon Machine Vision lenses. The Emerald version is designed for a full frame sensor and comes with an F mount. I have never used Nikon so I am unsure what it looks like in a photo. I saw this listing:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SCHNEIDER-KRE ... 2120425587?

The lens appears to look like the Emerald version and it has a Bayonet mount. but is it an F mount( as far as I know the only bayonet mount Schneider produces for these lenses is an F mount). It appears to be a good buy but just want some confirmation that it is F mount.

Note: in the emerald line the mount is designed to move along the threaded part of the barrel..( built in variable extension). Its designed for setting the designed magnification and then locking the mount in place( with a hex-drive grub screw)
Still learning,
Cameras' Sony A7rII, OLympus OMD-EM10II
Macro lenses: Printing nikkor 105mm, Sony FE 90mm F2.8 Macro G, Schneider Kreuznach Makro Iris 50mm , 2.8, Schnieder Kreuznach APO Componon HM 40mm F2.8 , Mamiya 645 120mm F4 Macro ( used with mirex tilt shift adapter), Olympus 135mm 4.5 bellows lens, Oly 80mm bellows lens, Olympus 60mm F2.8

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Possibly - Q&D snaps:

Chris R

austrokiwi1

Post by austrokiwi1 »

Yep it look like the ebay sale is for the full frame lens with F mount. its a good price considering they retail for around €600.00. I have one on the way. I should note It is only rated for 29mp. I am looking at it for the MFT camera, I think of a 36mp senor or higher it probably wouldn't perform so well.( with my limited understanding)
Still learning,
Macro lenses: Printing nikkor 105mm, Sony FE 90mm F2.8 Macro G, Schneider Kreuznach Makro Iris 50mm , 2.8, Schnieder Kreuznach APO Componon HM 40mm F2.8 , Mamiya 645 120mm F4 Macro ( used with mirex tilt shift adapter), Olympus 135mm 4.5 bellows lens, Oly 80mm bellows lens, Olympus 60mm F2.8

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

This might be of interest if you are looking for SK lenses. I have thought about Xenons in the past but this graph told me all I needed to know, the low mag design is not for me. Hope this helps.

Update us on how the ebay lens works out.

austrokiwi1

Post by austrokiwi1 »

Its very useful thank you. I will up date you. I was aware of the low mag range for the lens. two factors influenced me.

1. I will likely use it reversed of a full frame camera (I understand the SK published range for the XNE. is for normal mounting)

2. I will be using it normally on a MFT camera Low mag is what I want when I use that camera. I use the SK 40/2.8 at around .2 - .4X
Still learning,

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Its very useful thank you. I will up date you.
Thanks.
I was aware of the low mag range for the lens. But two factors influenced me.

1. I will likely use it reversed of a full frame camera (I understand the SK published range for the X.E. is for normal mounting)
Yes, true. I did see that, also I noticed the chart I uploaded shows other lenses in reverse but no the XE.
2. I will be using it normally on a MFT camera Low mag is what I want when I use that camera
Looking forward to seeing the results, hope it turns out to be a fine lens.

BTW I did find a PDF spec sheet for a very similar looking lens, Xenon Emerald 50/2.2, here is the link just in case you don't have it:
http://www.schneiderkreuznach.com/file ... .2-50.pdf

enricosavazzi

Post by enricosavazzi »

Looks like I got the last one, unless the seller has more.

By the way, it seems clear (to me) from the picture that the bayonet mount is an add-on that can be removed.
--ES

Macrero

Post by Macrero »

Yep, it seems that mount is "interchangeable". Options are: Nikon F, Canon, V-mount, M42 and M58. Specs looks good. Just grabbed one from another seller :P I'll share my thoughts once I get it.

Btw, the one I bought is also Nikon F mount, it is actually marked on the bayonet:

Weird thing is the Emerald are marked/engraved E-Xenon 2.2/50 while this one is just Xenon 2.2/50, even though I'm not aware of another Xenon 2.2/50 that is not the Emerald....

- Macrero
https://500px.com/macrero - Amateurs worry about equipment, Pros worry about money, Masters worry about Light

enricosavazzi

Post by enricosavazzi »

Does anyone know what is the original lens mount behind the adapter? It looks like it could be M39, or perhaps M42.
--ES

Macrero

Post by Macrero »

If this is the Xenon-Emerald 2.2/50, I'm pretty sure it is, albeit it is marked Xenon and not E-Xenon, but don't take my word for it. Then thread is M40x1, filter thread is M43x0,75. Here are the specs:

http://www.schneiderkreuznach.com/filea ... 2.2-50.pdf

- Macrero
https://500px.com/macrero - Amateurs worry about equipment, Pros worry about money, Masters worry about Light

austrokiwi1

Post by austrokiwi1 »

Mine arrived! I can confirm it is the Emerald. It has the Nikon mount( It was was easy to identify as it is marked Nikon) it is in very good condition. Its also marked Xenon-E.
Still learning,

enricosavazzi

Post by enricosavazzi »

austrokiwi1 wrote:Mine arrived! I can confirm it is the Emerald. It has the Nikon mount( It was was easy to identify as it is marked Nikon) it is in very good condition. Its also marked Xenon-E.
Good to know. Then we should reverse it for photomacrography, so the M40 thread is not a problem unless we need to use filters between lens and subject. There are a couple of options for M42 to 43 mm reversing rings on eBay, a bit expensive but they look well made (none available from China Inc., as far as I can see).
--ES

Macrero

Post by Macrero »

austrokiwi1 wrote:Mine arrived! I can confirm it is the Emerald. It has the Nikon mount( It was was easy to identify as it is marked Nikon) it is in very good condition. Its also marked Xenon-E.
Is it the same lens that is pictured in the ebay link in your original post? I don't see Xenon-E , just Xenon :-k. Btw the one I bought is identical.

austrokiwi1

Post by austrokiwi1 »

I ordered earlier than my post. I started to have post purchase anxiety hence my post. Its the same ebay listing with same picture but the lens I received is clearly marked Xenon-E( which is what i wanted) Will try it out later in the weekend
Still learning,

Macrero

Post by Macrero »

Weird... So you've received a different lens from the one pictured? :shock: This is the lens I bought:

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTA2N1gxNjAw/ ... 3/$_57.JPG

same as the one in the ebay listing in your OP. I can't find any information about just Xenon 2.2/50, the only Xenon 2.2/50 is the Xenon-Emerald, which is marked Xenon-E. This lens is actually identical to the Emerald, but it is marked Xenon, not Xenon-E. I'll try to contact SK to find out if this is an Emerald or what lens is this... :roll:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic