Tube before Nikon bellows?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

DaveW

Tube before Nikon bellows?

Post by DaveW »

I thought I would put this here as people on Photomacrography are more likely to be using Nikon bellows than general photographers.

There has long been a debate whether you need an extension tube between a Nikon DSLR for safety (or any autofocus Nikon) and Nikon bellows. Nikon recommends at least a PK11A ring (note:- not the older PK11 ring - "A" = auto for auto cameras, the longer tubes are safe anyway). Looking it up for another post I found this interesting article on the subject:-

http://www.mattclara.com/misc/nikonbellows/index.html

Dave Whiteley

arlon

Post by arlon »

Dave I have to use an extension ring to get the bellows to clear the hand grip on my d200. I have 4-5 different bellows and none of them will clear the grips. I guess it doesn't much matter and it gives me a little extra length if I need it. I usually use an M2 (f and AI-s versions) extension and haven't had any issues with them on the d200 or d50. Maybe I'm wrecking something and don't even know it.. Arlon
D50,100 IR, 90, 700, 800E and a box of old manual lenses.

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

You can never seem to get a real answer from Nikon as to what it is that supposedly is unsafe in connecting direct with an auto camera Arlon. Perhaps their staff do not actually know and just keep repeating the company line "use a short extension tube".

Similarly I have never been able to find out why the Nikon short extension tube and reversal ring had to have their bayonet mounts modified to an "A" for auto version, but all the other longer tubes did not need it?

DaveW

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic