Olympus Msplan for macro-photography

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Adalbert

Olympus Msplan for macro-photography

Post by Adalbert »

Hello everybody,
Which MSPlans are good for macrophotography (normal, ULWD, etc.)?
I would like to use them with Canon Ef 100 macro or Canon Ef 70-200 as a tube lens.
BR, Adi

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

These are pretty good objectives, intended to be used with 180mm tube lens...BUT... they were also intended to be used with chromatically corrective eyepieces and photo-eyepieces.

I've never tried them without the intended corrective optics so I can't say how objectionable any color errors might be if they were used as you intend..

mjkzz

Post by mjkzz »

I have an ULWD MSPlan 20, I was using it to test the stability of my rails. Now, I want to use it to do some 20x shots, looks like I won't get good results.

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

, looks like I won't get good results.
I would definitely give it a try before making any conclusions. Yes, it is always best to use the optics as the manufacturer intended, but it doesn't hurt to try.

I'm curious now... I think I will do a comparison between an MSPlan and one of my newer Olympus UIS objectives (that don't require corrective eyepieces). If would be very interesting to see the difference.

mjkzz

Post by mjkzz »

that would be AWESOME!

mjkzz

Post by mjkzz »

This is done with Olympus MSPlan 20X on a Canon EF 100mm macro lens, so magnification is about 20 * 100 / 180 = 11.1x, I did verify this by shooting a rule.

I think it is lacking contrast a bit.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

You're looking for CA and SA, which will be worse towards the corners if they're there.

Try something like LASER printed patch of very fine text, such as on a bank statement or a date code on a product box/label. It has small spatter-dots.

I have used white plastic (like credit card) with fine scrapings of pencil lead, which are sharp and small. You can't keep them long though!

Chris S has a technique of floating butterfly scales onto a slide. Using just alcohol some tend to stick flat. I've had mixed results doing that.

Scratched "sand" paper works but it's not always easy to see what's going on, due to varying amounts of binding resin between the grains.

Having said all that, if you need a flat, monochrome target under ideal conditions to detect anything wrong because it's not visible on a normal subject, then just stick to normal subjects!

Contrast varies even between copies of the same lens, and depends of course on "everything else" as well.
Chris R

mjkzz

Post by mjkzz »

Thanks ChrisR

Here are two with Olympus MSPlan 20X and Nikon 70-300 zoom set at 200, so it is about 22x

No editing except cropping

Increased contrast and little sharpening

Adalbert

Post by Adalbert »

Hello everyone,
OK, I have just ordered a MSPlan 50x/0.55 oo/0 ULWD.
In the worst case I will have to use the method described in
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... highlight=
for the correction of the CA.
BR, Adi

Adalbert

Post by Adalbert »

Hello everyone,
I have just received this lens
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... 366#190366
BR, Adi

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic