Testate amoeba (Euglypha?)

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Charles Krebs

Testate amoeba (Euglypha?)

Post by Charles Krebs »

I always seem to find the nice looking amoeba tests at the bottom of a wet mount, much too far away from the cover slip to allow me to use the 40X. So this is a crop from a shot made with a 20X. Not the greatest image, but a cool looking test.

gpmatthews

Post by gpmatthews »

Wow! - I've never seen one quite like that before. Wonderful image, as ever, Charlie.
Graham

Though we lean upon the same balustrade, the colours of the mountain are different.

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Charlie said:
So this is a crop from a shot made with a 20X. Not the greatest image, but a cool looking test.
Charlie you probably could have shot it with a magnifying glass and a vintage 1950's Kodak Brownie and it would still come out looking good. :D Got to agree with Graham there, can't say as if I have seen one of these either. I have got to get back to spending more time at the scope. Thanks Charlie! :D

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Ken...
I have got to get back to spending more time at the scope.
Yup. You and Wim and a few others.
Enough fooling around with those girly "close-up" shots, and time to start looking at some manly magnifications :shock: :wink:

Wim van Egmond

Post by Wim van Egmond »

Yes, yes, yes, I know that I have deserted from my true passion for a while but it is summer! I want to walk through the fields! And unfortunately I also have quite a lot of work at the moment. Shouldn't complain too much, just been to Brittany, France. Nice for tide pool photography!

And you seem to be able to fill the forum on your own, Charlie! :D :D

Wim

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Wim... in the "old" group 39% of the topics were photomicrography, and now it is only 18% :smt022

Just trying to maintain the status quo :smt023

Wim van Egmond

Post by Wim van Egmond »

I think this percentage will change in the winter!

But don't forget I had to wait for years until there was a Mac version of Helicon focus. I have finally the oportunity to play with it.

But I plan to do some microscopy in a short time!

Wim

bernhardinho

Post by bernhardinho »

Hi Charles,

great image!! I think this is a Trinema enchelys.

Best wishes

Bernhard

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

bernhardinho wrote:I think this is a Trinema enchelys.
Hhmm... Charlie's image is vastly better than anything else I can find on the web, but I see a couple of differences I can't account for by image quality.

One difference is that Charlie's test has a symmetric opening bordered by prominent regular teeth, where all the images at http://protist.i.hosei.ac.jp/pdb/Images ... index.html show an asymmetric, almost "hooded" shape with a smooth margin at the opening.

The other difference is that Charlie's test has those six prominent spicules (is that the right term?), where I can't see anything like them in the other pictures.

Bear in mind, I'm essentially clueless about testate amoebae and I'm just responding to what I can see. But I'd sure be interested to hear people's thoughts.

--Rik

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Bernhard and Rik... I think it is Euglypha alveolata, based on Plate 35 at this site:
http://xmission.com/~psneeley/Personal/Leidy.htm

Steve Neeley recently put this together from the work of Joseph Leidy. It is a super site and a "must" to have bookmarked if this subject matter is of any interest. Thanks again Steve!

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Charles Krebs wrote:I think it is Euglypha alveolata, based on Plate 35 at this site:
http://xmission.com/~psneeley/Personal/Leidy.htm
A good match indeed.

I find it intriguing that this excellent reference dates from 1879!

--Rik

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic