Mud Daubers???

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Ken Ramos

Mud Daubers???

Post by Ken Ramos »

Could be but they are really small ones if they are and quite a group of artists or sculpters. :D

While prowling the lawn this afternoon, I went around back of the house to a small field. There I found this Butterfly Weed of about 8 inches tall. Then I noticed these tiny earthen vessels attached to the stem. Really neat looking little things I thought. Lets take a picture. :D

Here we are close-up. Pretty neat bit of construction if you ask me. Maybe a small wasp? I don't know. But it sure is good at what it does, what ever it is. Oh yeah, I took these with the G7 with onboard flash too. :D

salden

Post by salden »

Nice images from that new camera Ken :D . These are interesting little structures.
Sue Alden

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Thanks Sue, they are sort of neat little things. I may go back and get them later on, if they are still around and keep them in a jar, just in case the owner is home. :lol:

Mike B in OKlahoma

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

Are you sure these aren't galls of some kind? If they are, the owners have exited. It does look an awful lot like mud, though.
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Mike asked"
Are you sure these aren't galls of some kind? If they are, the owners have exited.
Well I don't know if they are galls or not Mike. :-k They appear to be made from mud and have a spiral structure to them. A wasp was the first thing to come to mind, seeing as how wasps are known to cause galls but wasps also build mud structures too. Dunno :?:

Mike B in OKlahoma

I hadn't picked up on the spirals till you mentioned it, but you're right. Yeah, I suspect they're mud, not gall!
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

Gordon C. Snelling

Post by Gordon C. Snelling »

They are mud nests of a wasp. How tiny is tiny??

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Excellent Ken, I have never seen them on a plant before...only on buildings.
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Gordon asked:
They are mud nests of a wasp. How tiny is tiny??
Well Butterfly Weed is not exactly a large plant, about 12 to 18 inches at the most. The vessels themselves, I would imagine, are about 18mm, the size of a US dime, maybe a little less. Thanks Gordon and Doug! :D

Doug, I usaully see the longer mud structures on old buildings, large boulders and such made by the larger wasps but never ones like these. These are a first for me. Thanks again Doug. :D

crotermund

Post by crotermund »

Ken - I could be mistaken, but I believe these are the homes of the Potter Wasp.
Craig Rotermund
Canon 30D
Sigma 150mm

Bruce Williams

Post by Bruce Williams »

You sure have been posting some great images recently Ken. These are really interesting pics - well spotted.

Bruce

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Thanks Bruce and Craig :D

Craig, I followed your ID and you are correct. I have since went back out and collected the tiny vessels and have brought them inside in a glass jar for safe keeping. One of them is still sealed, so I am assuming the wasp larvae is still inside, though I am not going to open it.

Thanks again guys! :D

Mike B in OKlahoma

Ken, are these larvae smooth, or fuzzy wasp larvae? The reason I ask is because it is conceivable that you have the rare Hairy Potter!

:smt026 :smt005 :lol: :smt003 :smt081 :smt118
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

--Calvin

Adrian

Post by Adrian »

facinating structures, nice find.

Gordon C. Snelling

Post by Gordon C. Snelling »

The size indeed does point to Eumenes, really neat wasp. Good luck on the hatch out attempt. Keep us posted.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic