Myxos New Hampshire Style

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

beetleman

Myxos New Hampshire Style

Post by beetleman »

How about a dish of Metatrichia vesparium with a side order of yellow plasmodium. What luck, after seeing Walts` beautiful pictures, I come across this. I had just finished my lunch (painting bosses house still) and grabbed my camera and walked into the woods about 10 feet, found a good log and turned it over. Right before my eyes was this beautiful sight. A nice spread of slime molds in different stages of development and a beautiful yellow plasmodium. The plasmodium stage of slime molds moves like a giant amoeba, flowing over the surface as it ingests organic matter, such as dead leaves and wood. It was dark in the woods and I forgot to bring my mini tripod so I had to fire up my on-board flash for some extra light. I am not sure if the plasmodium is the same species as the fruiting bodies we see in the picture. I will try and follow up on this and get some more pictures tomorrow. FOV in first picture is about 4".

Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Fantastic shots Doug, what a great find! :o You and Walt are getting to be real pros at this myxo stuff. 8)

jmlphoto

Post by jmlphoto »

nice shots, you guys got me lookin for this stuff now when hiking even though i dont really know what they are. they sure do look cool though.

MacroLuv

Post by MacroLuv »

Hey Doug! :D
Seems you are going "septical" style! :lol:
Interesting stuff anyway. :wink:
The meaning of beauty is in sharing with others.

P.S.
Noticing of my "a" and "the" and other grammar
errors are welcome. :D

Walter Piorkowski

Post by Walter Piorkowski »

That does it Doug, I'm moving to New Hampshire. :x
Walt

Bruce Williams

Post by Bruce Williams »

Excellent images Doug - something different to feed the mind as well as the eye. Guess I'm gonna have to start turning over logs...

Talking about eating, the fruiting bodies remind me of elder berry clusters ....although I guess that's more drinking than eating :D

Bruce

Mike B in OKlahoma

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

So that's what happened to that pizza I left in my car while it was parked in the Sunlight....
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic