Infected Caterpillars...?

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Ken Ramos

Infected Caterpillars...?

Post by Ken Ramos »

I am keeping my eye on these. I found two of them that appeared to have been feeding on some tree leaves. Caterpillars I have noted in the past, do differently when infected with the spores of Cordyceps. Other insects latch on the twigs, tall grasses, or any other object where they can obtain sufficent height for spore dispersal, by using their mouth parts. Not so it seems with caterpillars or at least the infected ones I have seen. Caterpillars aloft, seem to attach themselves with their hind legs in the final stages of the disease, to what ever substrate that they have managed to climb, awaiting the eruption of the stroma from their bodies to expell the deadly Cordyceps spores into the wind. :)

Though I do not know for sure that these caterpillars are infected, I am keeping a watch on them for what it is worth. I found these to be quite lifeless and firmly attached to the substrates that they were on. I am hoping that they are not taken by birds or some other predator looking for a free meal. So far Cordyceps, it seems, is confined mainly to insects and has not mutated to higher organisms...as of yet. One must remember that the spores are haploid (1n) for a brief period of time and from what I have read, subject to mutation at that time.

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Excellent Photos ken. I hope you have the start of something exciting here. :smt023
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Thanks Doug, I am keeping an eye on them to see if any stroma erupt from them. So far there is none to see nor any fungal filaments. I checked them again this morning for signs of infection but again found none. :D

jmlphoto

Post by jmlphoto »

i hope he is, it would be great to get the whole process.

tpe

Post by tpe »

Really interesting post, and noce shots too. I always wondered why so many catapillars hung upside down like that :).

Tim

Mike B in OKlahoma

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

Great to keep a record photographically of this full process, hope it works!
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Sorry guys, I hate to say this but they are gone. :( Probably a bird, maybe something else carried them away, I don't know. Usually caterpillars bury underground and the fungi erupts from them there, however I have also found caterpillars aloft with their heads held skywards and back in agony as the stroma erupt from in between their segments. :|

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic