Robber-fly with victim

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Bruce Williams

Robber-fly with victim

Post by Bruce Williams »

Hi folks,

These two pics were taken yesterday afternoon - handheld with my new Nikon D80 and the 105mm VR f2.8 Macro lens.

D80 results for general photography (using 18-200mm VR zoom lens) have been very pleasing - noticably MUCH better than the Minolta A2 (crisper, cleaner with significantly more detail). However my hand-held macro and close-up shots have been quite disappointing - generally not as good as the Minolta. The D80 "studio" shots on tripod are clearly much better than the Minolta A2 so it's gotta be down to my poor hand-holding with the D80. I have some ideas and am determined to crack the problem.

Both pics ISO200 1/160s at f/16

Bruce

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

You've got to feel sorry for the little guy in the last image. It looks so helpless and looks at you with those big brown "help me" eyes. :( Even though one might feel sorry for the little guy, these are some pretty nice captures! :D

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

I am sure you will figure everything out Bruce. Excellent photos. The second one is a pirfect action angle IMO.
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Bruce Williams

Post by Bruce Williams »

Ken - Yes that's one of the great(?) things about macro photography - as well as the wierd and the beautiful, you get to see all the gory details that would otherwise go unnoticed.

Doug - I appreciate your confidence in me - I really am finding it very frustrating at the moment.

I was pleased with the face-on shot too.

Bruce :D

puzzledpaul

Post by puzzledpaul »

Both very good shots, Bruce, but the 2nd'd also get my first vote ... down 'n' dirty where the action is :)

(Fwiw, am also still getting used to using a 100 macro, and am generally using same with a home-made monopod (with tripod capability) )

pp

Bruce Williams

Post by Bruce Williams »

Thanks Paul - I'll try using my monopod with the D80 while I'm out dog walking today. It's a cheap, no-name, telescopic stick without a head (just a screw for the camera) but on the plus side it is very light. :D

Bruce

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic