stereo pair to 3D print

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

soldevilla

stereo pair to 3D print

Post by soldevilla »

Hi all! I need to get a 3D print from a stereoscopic pair. I assume that the 3D printed model is not going to show all the detail because there are areas that are hidden, but I think the result will be enough for my purpose. Does anyone know if this can be done, and how to transform a stereo pair in a file for printing?

Thanks! And a happy 2016!

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

I agree that it seems like this should be doable, but offhand I do not know any details about the process.

If the stereo is from a stack, then it may also be possible to get 3D structure directly from there.

What is the nature of the subject and how were the two views generated?

--Rik

soldevilla

Post by soldevilla »

It is not the result of a stack, Rik. I have only the final two images, not the process. To use a easy example, I could start from a stereoscopic pair of early twentieth century and try to recreate the volume. I'm sure this can be done (there is an initiative to create 3D files of the monuments destroyed by terrorists, based on the photos of tourists), but I know that software can be used to recognize common details in both photos.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

In that case, try googling "depth from stereo".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdxweH0CkMY is an interesting hit that might give you a quick indication.

More info at http://3dstereophoto.blogspot.com/p/software.html . The conversation seems to be pretty current -- last exchange Nov 2015 at this time.

--Rik

soldevilla

Post by soldevilla »

thanks, Rik!

I have a lot of text for reading, now. In english, uf!

I will show it here if I obtain a successful print.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic