Canon MP-E65

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Harald

Canon MP-E65

Post by Harald »

Hi there good people,
Does anyone know the optimum aperture for the Canon MP-E65?
Kind Regards
Harald

Lier Fotoklubb / NSFF
AFIAP / CPS
BGF / GMV
http://www.500px.com/blender11

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

At 5x, there is a difference(apparently) between individual lenses. Mine and Rik's are sharpest at f/2.8, Charlie's (if I remember correctly) about f/4.
On APS of course, diffraction is starting to have an effect so it's probably dependent on the camera sensor.
At lower magnifications f/4 to f/8 are "fine", a little better than f/2.8, for mine.

Harald

Post by Harald »

Hi there CrisR,
I use an 7D and I also thought that f/4 would be a good place to start.
Working on a macro table, I will try to do some serious stacking.
Used the calculator on the extreme macro page. It said I should use 0.04mm movement at f/4.
Hope to get some great shots soon.
Kind Regards
Harald

Lier Fotoklubb / NSFF
AFIAP / CPS
BGF / GMV
http://www.500px.com/blender11

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

That would be about right for the higher magnifications.
I go first to Rik's "DOF Two Ways" spreadsheet from this site, and test from there.
It's Here

One thing I don't remember is the PMR of an MP E-65.

"Oversampling" doesn't have much disadvantage, and if the flash throws an erratic frame, you can leave it out with less effect!

dlg

Post by dlg »

I ran my copy recently through a f/2.8 vs 4.0 series from 1:1 to 5:1 on a 5DsR, so same pixel size as 7D. For me 2.8 was always sharper. See post on that topic in this section of forum

Joyful

Post by Joyful »

Hi from a hot Cape Town -

I am wondering if I should treat myself to the MPE-65 for christmas ? I expect the SA Rand to depreciate badly in the next few weeks, perhaps never to recover, and although it is expensive in Rand terms (over R15.65 for one $), will only get worse.

I have the Canon 100mm Macro (non-l), and the Nikon 10x plan achro. I plan to try out cross polarization photography with crystals, and think that the MPE will be more user-friendly than adding extension tubes each time I want a new magnification. Also handle colour better.

Can it be used with extension tubes and the 1.4 or 2x converter ? I have the Vello macrofier that enables me to have aperture control with manual extension tubes.

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

The MP-E is of course an excellent lens, but for studio work you can also find other alternatives less expensive and maybe more adequate to shot crystals, like mounting 4X and 10X Nikon CFI or Nikon CFI BE on your 100 lens to have 2X and 5X magnification, or finite CF objectives on bellows.
Pau

dlg

Post by dlg »

The MPE 65 can be used with TC 1.4x for sure (have done that, to 7:1 on FF camera body), and should also work with TC 2.0x (to 10:1 on FF body). There are the usual caveats such as losing 1-2 f-stops, additional joint in set-up. You can also add additional extension rings if you really want to.

On the small pixel cameras such as the 5DsR, at >4:1 you run into diffraction limit and only get empty magnification.

axle01

Post by axle01 »

I'm thinking of getting one to mount on my Sony A7s.

Would this work or a fruitless exercise.

Alan

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

In principle it could work very well if coupled with the expensive Metabones adapter that allows to control the aperture. With a cheap contactless adapter you need to shoot all the time wide open or preset the aperture previously on a Canon EOS body (a working tric but not very practical)
Pau

Joyful

Post by Joyful »

Would the Vello Macrofier for canon (like extension tubes connected by coiled wire) allow automatic aperture control ? Works on my Canon 100mm lens ?

Joyful

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Vello Macrofier for canon
Is that for a Sony A7 - in which case presumably yes, or a Canon?

Joyful

Post by Joyful »

Hi Chris - Canon only as far as I know !

axle01

Post by axle01 »

Pau wrote:In principle it could work very well if coupled with the expensive Metabones adapter that allows to control the aperture. With a cheap contactless adapter you need to shoot all the time wide open or preset the aperture previously on a Canon EOS body (a working tric but not very practical)
Pau I have the Metabones adapter so I might have a closer look at the lens after Christmas.
Thank you.

Alan

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic