Damselfly

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

DaveW

Damselfly

Post by DaveW »

Damselfly.

Feeding near my pond this afternoon. Not that easy to spot unless over the water in spite of their colouration. Had to use ISO 400 to get reasonable shutter speed and aperture with available light as it chose to land on this very thin blade of grass that was constantly moving 2"-3" in the breeze. It was therefore a case of trying to catch it as it moved around, though the movement did not seem to inhibit it feeding.

DaveW

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

For a moving target you seemed to have done pretty well there Dave. Wonder what that thing is its eating on? :D

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

There's obviously a wing there Ken but it's hard to make out what it is. In fact the blade of grass was blowing so much at times the Damselfly nearly fell off and was left hanging underneath. In the end I managed to get hold of the base of the grass stem to steady it a bit before it flew off but the top was still waving around.

It still lacks the quality and crispness of flash to me. I really will have to read the manual and set up my as yet unused flashes using the menu. Oh for the good old days when you just needed to stick the flash on and turn the shutter speed knob to sync speed instead of trolling through enough menu options to set up a Web site. :roll:

I still miss setting things with single function knobs and buttons, although for most usual functions the Nikon D200 does use these, you only have to use the menu if you want to set up something different. What I need is a child of 4 to set it up for me! :oops: :?

DaveW

salden

Post by salden »

Nice capture. Moving objects are always a pain and I agree with the child of 4.... :lol:
Sue Alden

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Beautiful color combo on this fellow. I think it came out rather nice of the conditions you faced.
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic