microscope and objectives

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

mpan

microscope and objectives

Post by mpan »

Hi, my name's Mike and I'm really new to this hobby, in fact just discovered this awesome site about a week ago. I recently inherited a number of microscopes and objectives, and these were the ones that stood out the most. I was wondering if these objectives (attached to turret) have a specific microscope they're supposed to be used on? And what are the purposes of the objectives lined up (one is marked plezy and another has a red window with a target mark)? I'm still doing research, but I guess I was really hoping to get information from people who have used these. Any other information about the equipment will be much appreciated.

Also, while using 1x objective (different microscope), I was able to see the subject clearly...but I could not get it to focus with a Nikon D5100 and Amscope adapter. Any thoughts as to why? Thank you.

--AdminCS edit, minor formatting
Mike

Ichthyophthirius

Post by Ichthyophthirius »

Hi Mike,

Welcome. You've got a great Olympus BHT microscope there with excellent objectives (from what I can glance) as well as epi-illuminators and photoattachments. It's too much to describe it all but you can start working your way through the microscope manuals here: http://www.alanwood.net/photography/oly ... loads.html with the BHT manual here http://www.alanwood.net/photography/oly ... loads.html

About the first picture; you have to show the front of the objectives so we can read the labels :wink:

The PLETZY adapters (you've got at least 3) are used to extend objectives with 37 mm parfocal length to 45 mm. This allows older Leitz objectives (37 mm) to be mixed with newer objectives (45 mm) while compensating the 8 mm change in tube length. They work with all objectives, not just Leitz.

The one right next to it is used in epifluorescence microscopy. The target is used to center the light source.

mpan

Post by mpan »

Thank you very much for the links! BTW, besides the microscope cover is there a special way to store the turret? what about the attachments? Just trying to figure out the best way to keep them in top shape for years to come.
Mike

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

For some of the objectives you show (second picture) take a look at these brochures on Alan's site:
http://www.alanwood.net/downloads/olymp ... ctives.pdf
http://www.alanwood.net/downloads/olymp ... s-1980.pdf

Looks like you have the 1X and 2X S Plan Fluorites (nice!) as well as a set of 4/10/20/40 and 100X S Plan Achromats. (With the 1X and 2X the condenser you show will not illuminate the full field those objectives cover in "normal" brightfield illumination. Your set-up looks pretty comprehensive so I suspect you may have another condenser that will be better with those two objectives).
Also, while using 1x objective (different microscope) I was able to see the subject clear...but I could not get it to focus with a nikon d5100 and amscope adapter, any thoughts as to why? Thank you.
Was it the 1X shown here, and was it an Olympus microscope? What does the adapter look like?

All these Olympus objectives you show were designed to be used with chromatically corrective viewing eyepieces and corrective photoeyepieces in the trinocular tube. A "generic" Amscope camera adapter will not give the best photo results, and (if it is the one I am thinking of) may not fit at the proper distance in your BHT trinocular tube. Look through the pieces you have and see if you have any relatively long and "skinny" eyepieces with the NFK designation on them (Like NFK 2.5X or NFK 3.3X). These were the Olympus photoeyepieces intended to be used in the trinocular tube of the the "BH2-TR30" trinocular head you show here.

BTW... you show a mercury burner and fluorescence components, but I don't see a UV protective shade. Read up on fluorescence microscope UV/eye safely precautions before firing that thing up!

Ichthyophthirius

Post by Ichthyophthirius »

mpan wrote:Besides the microscope cover, is there a special way to store the turret? what about the attachments? Just trying to figure out the best way to keep them in top shape for years to come.
In general, handle the turrets and objectives with great care. Always pick them up and carry them with both hands. If you drop them, they can suffer internal damage which would be impossible to repair. Same when you change individual objectives; they are easily dropped in the process.

Store the turrets upside down, individually, in cardboard or plastic boxes to protect them from dust and scratches. Store at room temperature and avoid sudden temperature changes.

Humidity is a big issue. High humidity (> 60%) can support fungus growth inside the optics. If your room humidity is sometimes higher than 60% (buy a hygrometer), for example if you live in the subtropics or tropics, you need to take special measures http://www.zeiss.com/camera-lenses/en_u ... enses.html

Beginners sometimes want to give their optics "a good clean" when they start. Don't! The glass surfaces are easily scratched and irreparably damaged. Most objectives don't have to be cleaned for many years. The notable acception are oil immersion objectives which should be cleaned at the end of each day to prevent oil from crawling into the optics. If you really have to clean something, have a look at this first http://www.well.ox.ac.uk/_asset/file/th ... oscope.pdf

mpan

Post by mpan »

Charles, thank you for your help and sorry about the late response.
Was it the 1X shown here, and was it an Olympus microscope? What does the adapter look like?
Yes, it was the 1x , but it was attached to a different olympus(CHBS) and as far as the adapter goes it is the AMscope Nikon adapter bought on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... on+amscope
I'll have to check soon about the NFK eyepieces there are a lot of those too! :smt073

Ichthyophthirius, I'm ashamed to admit it, but I tried cleaning some of the objectives already...Good thing I came here for advice before I did anymore damage!
Thank yall very much for your help and advice, I really do appreciate it.[/url]
Mike

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Mike,

That's the adapter I was thinking of. It should fit OK in the trinocular head that was available for the CH series, since that had (I believe) a simple 23.2mm trinocular tube. I have no idea why you could get focus in the viewing eyepieces but not in the camera. (A picture of the set-up sometimes helps)

On the BH2-TR30 trinocular head there is a dovetail mount on the top of the trinocular tube. The inside diameter of that dovetail is considerably smaller than the upper diameter of most eyepieces. As a result a regular eyepiece can't "seat" down far enough. The only eyepieces I've seen that can fit properly are the Olympus photoeyepieces, and for your objectives the NFKs are the proper ones. You really want to use an NFK ( preferably 1.67X or 2.5X) with your objectives in order to complete the color correction. (The 1.67X is pretty scarce and is now very expensive when you find one. The 2.5X is pretty common.) Your AmScope adapter might fit in properly depending on the diameter of the second "level"on its tube. Even if it does, it will not provide the final color correction your objectives need. This may or may not be too objectionable... peoples tolerances for this vary. (But see if you have an NFK in your collection :wink: )

When you really start taking pictures you will want to take some steps to try to avoid mirror and shutter vibration from the microscope mounted D5100 camera.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic