Cicada Killer

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

salden

Cicada Killer

Post by salden »

or "Photographer Killer". This gal/guy was aggressive. I had a hard time getting the image and final switched out my macro to my 200mm and cropped. He/She would chase off anything that got remotely close to it (bees, flies, birds, ME).
Sue Alden

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Beautiful photos Sue. I believe these are rather burly wasps :shock: Notice his front legs are up in a snatching position :wink:
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Colorful looking critter, almost like a hornet. Why "cicada killer?" Really a nice photograph there Sue. After it chasing me off though I probably would have swatted it after getting the photograph. It would be just my luck though that family and friends of the thing would see me and then...well you know... :shock:

salden

Post by salden »

Ken Ramos wrote:...Why "cicada killer?" ...
Spbecius speciousus

"Females hunt cicadas one at a time. Each victim is stung and carried back to nest. 1-2 cicadas are placed in each nest cell." Larvae feeds on the cicadas.
Sue Alden

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Oh I see. :) Good thing there is a Sonic here. If I had a female nearby I would send her over for some Super Sonic hamburgers and tots w/cheese and Jalapenos. :smt028 By the way, that must really be some nest to stuff a cicada into it! :shock:

salden

Post by salden »

Each nest has 2 - 3 cells each, so yea, I think it would be big, but it is in the ground, making it hard to find.

...banana split, sonic, female to pick it all up for you...Ken you are not that far from me..really you are not... :smt062
Sue Alden

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Sue wrote:
female to pick it all up for you... :smt062
well...no. I was going to fix the "naner split" myself. :smt069

Mike B in OKlahoma

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

Good job. Looks like it didn't want anything else to get a drink till it was through!
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic