Red Brown Wasp

Just bought that first macro lens? Post here to get helpful feedback and answers to any questions you might have.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

MedicineMan4040

Red Brown Wasp

Post by MedicineMan4040 »

It took 2 days to get this guy even with the temptation of grape jelly....speaking of, how do you guys feel of the morality of using attractants like jelly and honey?
Oh, I did try to ply my grey card for a custom white balance but that will take some pouring into the manual unless someone knows off the top of their heads for the Lumix GH4.
ImageBig Brown gets a Snoot full by MedicineMan4040, on Flickr

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Re: Red Brown Wasp

Post by rjlittlefield »

MedicineMan4040 wrote: how do you guys feel of the morality of using attractants like jelly and honey?
Sounds to me like a win-win: you get the picture, the bug gets a meal!

As long as the situation is clear to the reader, no problem.

I like the big version over on Flickr, by the way -- lots of detail in the eyes (and elsewhere).

--Rik

MedicineMan4040

:)

Post by MedicineMan4040 »

Haha! Win-win, true that!
Hey, if you know how to find or attract hornets spill the beans.

Olympusman

Attractants

Post by Olympusman »

Attractants (bait) are fair game as far as I'm concerned. If you want intact Drosphila, just put a dish of wine outside. The fly gets drunk and you get a clean specimen.
You can look for wasp trapping methods at https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sou ... eLr9z3WKSU

Since many wasps like nectar, the most popular bait seems to be jelly (jam) dissolved in water.

Mike
Michael Reese Much FRMS EMS Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, USA

Carmen

Re: Attractants

Post by Carmen »

Olympusman wrote:Attractants (bait) are fair game as far as I'm concerned. If you want intact Drosphila, just put a dish of wine outside. Mike
Mike, I really appreciate these tips -thank you! :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic