Adjust Sharpness

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

DaveW

Adjust Sharpness

Post by DaveW »

Tried "Adjust Sharpness" in Elements 5 instead of "Unsharp Mask" I used in Elements 4. Though the rest seems OK the eyes don't seem very well resolved, are they just out of focus or what?

DaveW

MacroLuv

Post by MacroLuv »

Do not know about Elements Dave. Does it work same as Photoshop?
The meaning of beauty is in sharing with others.

P.S.
Noticing of my "a" and "the" and other grammar
errors are welcome. :D

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

I would say the eyes look on-par with everything else. I don`t see why they would be different than say the thorax unless they extend above the highest point on the thorax which it does not look like they do. I think it looks very well.
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Looking at the above at actual pixels level it seems to be very "grainy" (noisy) so it may be too high an ISO for my tastes. But I don't know if everybody else uses noise reduction as I am always unsatisfied with the "grain" if I go over ISO 200, yet many seem to turn out reasonable shots at pretty high ISO's? Perhaps I am cropping a bit too much so enlarging the "grain"?

Elements is basically a "cut down" Photoshop Nikola. The following picture I used the usual Unsharp Mask, but it was a different image from the same set so may have been a bit sharper to start with.

What I don't seem to be able to do is resolve the facets of the eyes as many of you are, in spite of seemingly reasonable magnification, or is it just that they are not as conspicuous in the insects I am photographing?

DaveW

Mike B in OKlahoma

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

My impression is that on this particular bug, the eye facets are pretty small. Neither of these photos seems fully sharp to me overall, not only in the eyes, but things like wing detail.

I don't know anything about Elements, but I believe it has USM. Are you not getting satisfactory results with USM? There are a BUNCH of different recipes out there to use it for internet display. I usually make the very final adjustment by "eyeballing it" anyway.
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

It may be a case of hand holding reducing sharpness because I was trying to use the pop-up flash as others have done, but as I suspected my Micro Nikkor is too long to allow this since you can clearly see from the full frame image where the lens has blocked off the flash from the subject. So in effect the insect was exposed by available light and subject to slight camera shake no doubt.

I really should get around to setting up my twin gun flashbar to get them near the front of the lens.

I still cannot weigh up though why my images are grainy (noisy) when I move away from ISO 100 because others seem to get fairly smooth images at much higher ISO's? There is one at the bottom of this thread taken at ISO 640 on the same camera as mine which is far less grainy (noisy) than I seem to get at ISO 200!

http://www.planetnikon.com/forums/index ... topic=6259

DaveW

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic