More Myxo's

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Ken Ramos

More Myxo's

Post by Ken Ramos »

You know I am quite puzzled as to why I cannot find myxo's around where I live in the forest next to the house. I just suppose that it is too dry for them. However you would think after a cool or warm summers rain, at least a few species would pop up here or there but no such luck, I have to drive one and half hours into the mountains to find these little devils. :smt017 But, the trip is usually rewarding. :D

I am going to go out on a limb and do a visual ID on these, I am going to assume that they are Arcyria cinerea, pale gray to light brown, 0.3 to 4.0 mm tall (Stephenson), though I have encountered another species once before that were a bit larger than these here but similar in appearance aside from color. Those may have been A. denudata which can range from 2 to 6 mm tall, pinkish red to brick red (Stephenson).

Here we have another of which I have examined the spores and capillitum of many times before through the microscope and have come to the conclusion of it being Hemitrichia calyculata. Note the size of these compared to the moss that they were found next too. The substrate on which all of these are found, are pieces of damp and decaying tree limbs that were littering the forest floor above 4,000'

Here we have H. calyculata in a state of dehiscence, just below center, but what interests me here in this image is the mass of spherical black bodies above which I have not encountered until today. I am quite sure that these are myxomycetes but as to what species I am uncertain. A visual search left me with the impression that they could be Lindbladia tubulina but even of that I am vaugly sure. Only examination of the spores through the use of the microscope would actually reveal the possiblity of what species they actully are. Again note their size to their surroundings and to that of the dehiscent H. calyculata.

Walter Piorkowski

Post by Walter Piorkowski »

Quite a hawl there Ken I'm jealous. My last hunt (July 4) after a summers rain netted me only cup fungi and one myxo well done in expelling its spores. Nice images, the third being a very intersting subject for some closeup work. Walt

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Thanks Walt. :D I was thinking of your set up while afield today and how handy it would be in examining these new myxos, not to mention any others that I would or might have come across. Keep those images coming Walt, your shooting some really great stuff there. :D

MacroLuv

Post by MacroLuv »

Fabulous atmosphere! :smt023
The meaning of beauty is in sharing with others.

P.S.
Noticing of my "a" and "the" and other grammar
errors are welcome. :D

salden

Post by salden »

Nice find Ken. I like the little red bubble head ones.
Sue Alden

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Thanks Nikola and Sue :D

Sue wrote:
I like the little red bubble head ones.
At least they are not blonde! :smt061 :lol:

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Incredible finds Ken. A very sucessful hunt. I have been looking around for some but have come up empty handed. :(
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Well don't feel bad Doug, I had to drive a distance just for these. I wish they would occur here at home and by all means they should but don't. I thought of keeping a shady place out beside the house rather damp but my well water is rich in copper and kills most anything small it comes into contact with, can't even drink it, have to buy my water in town for cooking and such. I have been thinking of constructing a collection system but that seems sort of ridiculous because we have not had any rain to speak of :lol: for keeping things watered. :roll:

Mike B in OKlahoma

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

Ken Ramos wrote: I wish they would occur here at home and by all means they should but don't. I thought of keeping a shady place out beside the house rather damp but my well water is rich in copper and kills most anything small it comes into contact with, can't even drink it, have to buy my water in town for cooking and such. I have been thinking of constructing a collection system but that seems sort of ridiculous because we have not had any rain to speak of :lol: for keeping things watered. :roll:
It's funny, I was going to recommend that you hose down an otherwise suitable patch on a regular basis with this same idea. Maybe you should put out a rain barrel if the drought ends....Though you'd have to either control the mosquito larvae, or else use them as photo subjects! :)

You know that if you regularly shoot subjects like this, YOU could do with getting an MP-E-65! :idea:
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Mike suggested:
You know that if you regularly shoot subjects like this, YOU could do with getting an MP-E-65!
I am taking donations in the name of the Ken Ramos Science Foundation if anyone would care to spare a bit of change. The foundation would also be in need of a ring flash or other suitable lighting apparatus to make the MP-E-65 a bit more functional too. :wink:

The rain barrel thing has crossed my mind and to control the mosquitoe population, I have been pondering a fine mesh such as a fine nylon screen or wire mesh placed over the top.

I have started monitoring the meterological conditions over the web of the places where I have made my discoveries. By so doing I may be able to get an idea of the atmospheric conditions under which these things are most likely to propagate, for example humidity and temperture are of importance I am thinking and of course precipitation in the amount of rainfall. I am also keeping an eye on dew points. However web monitoring will only give me a "ball park" figure at best and I am not in the positon to readily assess the sites that I am monitoring. On site monitoring would be even so much better but the equipment needed and control of outside interference are major problems to be considered here. I really and seriously doubt if any one would give me a research grant in the amount of a couple of million but it would be nice. :wink:

Mike B in OKlahoma

Ken, I assume you've looked for these beasties.....errr, planties in appropriate places in the parks or other public access spaces closer to your home? Sorry to ask the obvious, but since they interest you so much, a concerted search would seem to be the ticket!
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

I have looked all over the place Mike, at least those whose access is to that of the public. Prowling around someones backyard would be a bit hard to explain to local authorities, especially when I tell them just what I was looking for. Very few people believe me now as it is. :lol: As for parks and such, we have none. Rutherfordton is a spot on the highway and we have covered so much of the land elsewhere with asphalt and concrete it just bearly leaves room for a few blades of grass and some trees, not to mention that the ground water will soon fail because of run off. I do appreciate you submitting ideas to me though, maybe something will turn up around here sooner or later. There are numerous species of them and not being familar with all of them can cause one to overlook some I would imagine. Anyway I will still be combing my beloved mountains for them just the same.

Thanks Mike :D

Mike B in OKlahoma

Ken Ramos wrote:Prowling around someones backyard would be a bit hard to explain to local authorities, especially when I tell them just what I was looking for.

I have a story about caterpillars in Hawaii I'll have to post in the Community Forum.
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

--Calvin

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

An experience we all would like to avoid for sure there Mike. :wink:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic