Hover fly - help with identification appreciated

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Bruce Williams

Hover fly - help with identification appreciated

Post by Bruce Williams »

Hi folks,

Hi to Mark and Estonian girl friend (also taking macro pics) who I met today in Salcey Forest (UK). I'm sorry I didn't catch your name but do hope you decide to join the forum and post some of your flower pics.

There was very little to be seen today probably due the very heavy rainfall we've had recently.

Pic was taken with my Minolta A2 1/250s @ f/7.1

Bruce

Sven Bernert

Post by Sven Bernert »

Most of the time harsh sunlight doesn’t help much in terms of image quality but here IMO it contributes nicely to this clean and well defined capture. Lots of detail in the hairy area between the wings. Well done Bruce. Hope your friends will find their way the the forums.

Best,
Sven
If you are out there shooting, things will happen for you. If you're not out there, you'll only hear about it. - Jay Maisel

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Hi Bruce,

Looks like a MARMALADE HOVERFLY Episyrphus balteatus if I have identified the picture correctly here:-

http://www.david.element.ukgateway.net/ ... flies1.htm

There are a lot of further links to pages (Flies 2, 3. 4 etc) if you scroll down to the bottom of the above link.

Some of the photography is not too good, but it is a help in identifying these things. Your picture is much better than his!

DaveW

MacroLuv

Post by MacroLuv »

Nice Bruce, shooting macro - finding macro photographers. :D
Some news meantime... you become "Nikonnian"? :wink:
The meaning of beauty is in sharing with others.

P.S.
Noticing of my "a" and "the" and other grammar
errors are welcome. :D

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

A beautiful fly Bruce. I love the tiger striped abdomen on the creature.
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Bruce Williams

Post by Bruce Williams »

Thanks for your encouraging comments guys.

Sven - yes the pic was taken in bright mid-afternoon sunlight (a rare breakthrough) needing exposure comp of -1 stop.

Dave - Thanks for the link (and on-links) and for your help on identification - yes it sure looks like a Marmalade Hoverfly (what a super name though!).

Nikola - the large, bright viewfinder was the deciding factor on my decision to go for the D80 - it was close though.

Doug - Yes, and the tiger stripes are even more beautiful from above but unfortunately I didn't get any keepers from that angle (this time).

Bruce

Mike B in OKlahoma

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

DaveW wrote: Looks like a MARMALADE HOVERFLY Episyrphus balteatus
I don't think I want it spread on my bread, thank you very much! :-)

Bruce, good job here. I also have taken some fairly decent high f/stop insect shots in bright mid-day light. The flash gives you a chance to minimize some of the harshness. You never get the incredible or awesome lighting effects this way, but you can get some good clean shots, as this one proves.
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic