Just a Little on the Trashy Side...

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Ken Ramos

Just a Little on the Trashy Side...

Post by Ken Ramos »

Thinks this may be Lacewing larvae, not too sure... :-k

EOS 30D
Canon EF-100mm f/2.8 macro
Canon 430EX Speedlite @ -1/3

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

You got me with this one, Ken.

I have to admit, that profile view sure does look like a lacewing larva.

I had not heard of lacewing larvae doing this sort of thing, but upon searching, I found this reference: http://www.raupplab.umd.edu/bugweek/arc ... ek_15.html. It says that
However, when the lacewing larvae disguised themselves in debris, products made by the aphids such as wax or skins, they easily snuck past the ants and enjoyed an aphid feast much the same way
The first time I looked at your pictures, mostly what I saw looked like wax. Now that I look closer, I see what look like ghostly aphid skins too.

So, I think you nailed this one! (Nice pics too! :D )

--Rik

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

You know I never noticed the aphid skins until you mentioned it. Sometime back, I seemed to have remember reading that lacewing larvae did this but still wasn't sure if this was what I had photographed. So now I guess we know. Thanks Rik :D

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Very interesting photos Ken. I never knew anything about lacewing larva and Rik always spots the unspottible (?). I guess aphids are not very smart in the insect world....not to spot a wolf in sheeps clothing (and dead relatives) :wink:
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Dead relatives. Gott'a closet full of them. Figure of speech of course. No need to get local and state authorities involved in all this. By the way I have a small place and only one closet anyway and it is small too. I can't even keep a skeleton in there. Yes, I commented sometime back as to how aphids go on about their business, seemingly unaware that a predator is in their midst. Maybe they should have a siren or something to warn them, like we do with sever weather :lol: . Thanks Doug :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic