The Perfect Lens: Resolution Beyond the Limits of Wavelength

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

The Perfect Lens: Resolution Beyond the Limits of Wavelength

Post by rjlittlefield »

There's a new online video posted here: http://mitworld.mit.edu/play/453/ , Sir John Pendry talking about "perfect lensing" through the use of metamaterials with refractive index RI = -1.

This concept has received a lot of press because of its demonstrated ability to break the traditional limits of resolution as a function of wavelength. A conceptually simple flat flab of this stuff (with very well polished surfaces) can effectively copy a high resolution image from one point to another, using light whose wavelength is very large in comparison to the copied resolution.

That's the good news. :D

The bad news is that this is a near-field effect. It only works if you can get the slab of RI=-1 material within a small wavelength of the image to be copied.

This effect may be phenomenally effective when applied to new high-density DVDs.

But in terms of making significant improvement in traditional photomacrography & photomicroscopy, I won't be holding my breath. At 1:06:50 of the streaming video, Pendry answers a question by saying (in part) "you're not going to use this lens to build better spectacles". At 1:07:08 he adds that "if you were considering it as part of a far-field system you'd throw it in the bin straight away."

The way I read the papers (and hear Pendry's talk), these new negative RI materials promise to be very interesting for near-field applications, but to have no noticeable effect on the far-field applications that pretty much cover all of our forums' activities.

Sorry for the bleak report, but I thought some of you would like to know.

--Rik

Epidic

Post by Epidic »

Well, scanning electron microscopes do break the visible light barrier. It would be difficult (impossible) to use this in a lens for a tradition light microscope - diffration IS what makes the image. At least no one has been able to prove Ernst Abbe wrong on the basics of image formation.

Unfortunately, I don't have a Real Player and so could not see the video. But there are some interesting things happing in optics. Whether these new technologies will ever be useful to imaging technology as most people know it is not clear.
Will

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic