2014 Olympus Bioscapes

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

canonian

2014 Olympus Bioscapes

Post by canonian »

http://www.olympusbioscapes.com/gallery/year/2014

Great entries this year and a lot of familiar names.
I like to congratulate Igor, Yousef, Charles, Wim, Rogelio, Waldo, Francis and all the other forum members who entered and won.
I took a shot at it this year but clearly ( looking at the outstanding photo's in the gallery) not ready yet to reach the level needed.

Next year ....

Saul

Post by Saul »

Congratulations !

RogelioMoreno

Post by RogelioMoreno »

Congratulations to all the members that won.

Rogelio

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Absolutely - there's some humbling imagery there.

Wim van Egmond

Post by Wim van Egmond »

Thank you Fred, and my congratulations to all the winners.

And of course thanks to Rik for his great software that I used to make my little movie.

Wim

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Congratulations!!! =D> :smt038 :smt041

It's a privilege to be a modest member of this same community, isn't it?
Pau

blepharopsis

Post by blepharopsis »

Congratulations, and thanks!

canonian

Post by canonian »

Pau wrote:It's a privilege to be a modest member of this same community, isn't it?
Indeed, Pau. "If I have seen further, it is only by standing on the shoulders of giants.", it is nice to have so many mentors.

Rylee Isitt

Post by Rylee Isitt »

There are many really stunning images in there... something to aim for :)

Definitely, congratulations to those of you who won or got honorable mentions. Some very fine looking art/science in there!

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Congratulations to all!

The imagery is excellent as always.

One type of entry I have not seen before is the second Honorable Mention for Wim van Egmond (direct link https://web.archive.org/web/20151205201 ... images/769).

The description is
Specimen: Penicillium
Technique: Fungus imaged using 10x and 20x objectives and a stacking device
This is a video, rendering the mold as if it were some tiny forest canopy, being flown over in a balloon. Quite surreal!

--Rik

Edit 1/18/2019: added direct link
Edit 10/8/2019: fixed broken link to use WayBack Machine
Last edited by rjlittlefield on Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wim van Egmond

Post by Wim van Egmond »

Indeed Rik, I am working on a series of movies like this, they are made with the stereo function of Zerene. I thought the Bioscapes would be a nice occasion to show the first results.

The nice thing about the technique is that it is like you are flying over a forest. I am working on a longer movie but it takes a lot of computer time. Each fragment contains 400 stacks of +300 images. pff, so many things to do, so little time. You do see some stacking artefacts but the funny thing is that they add to the livelyness of the scene.

Wim

Rylee Isitt

Post by Rylee Isitt »

Wim,

Wow. So how many shutters have you worn out so far? ;)

RogelioMoreno

Post by RogelioMoreno »

Wim,

Your winning videos are amazing, excellent work!

Rogelio

GemBro

Post by GemBro »

Just seen this on the BBC Earth website ...
Excellent work guys ... very well done to all involved ... top knotch images ...
Canon 550D(T2i) ML (Nightly Builds) | Canon 5D MKII | Raynox 250 | Palinar 35mm f2.8 (reversed) | EL-Nikkor 50mm f2.8 N | EL-Nikkor 50mm f4 N | EL-Nikkor 50mm f4 | Bellows | Objectives: LOMO 3.7x 0.11 : 8x 0.20 : 40x 0.65
RiG II - 'Bamboo': Olympus CH Focus Block with Inverted Arca/Swiss | Canon 430 EX (x2) | Olympus T20 flash (x2) | Youngnuo YN-622C Wireless triggers (x3) | Ikea Jansjo 3W LED Lighting (x3)
Stepper Motor Focusing System (Helicon Remote)

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

rjlittlefield wrote:One type of entry I have not seen before is the second Honorable Mention for Wim van Egmond. The description is
Specimen: Penicillium
Technique: Fungus imaged using 10x and 20x objectives and a stacking device
This is a video, rendering the mold as if it were some tiny forest canopy, being flown over in a balloon. Quite surreal!
Wim van Egmond wrote:Indeed Rik, I am working on a series of movies like this, they are made with the stereo function of Zerene. I thought the Bioscapes would be a nice occasion to show the first results.

The nice thing about the technique is that it is like you are flying over a forest. I am working on a longer movie but it takes a lot of computer time. Each fragment contains 400 stacks of +300 images. pff, so many things to do, so little time. You do see some stacking artefacts but the funny thing is that they add to the livelyness of the scene.

Wim
I am amused to report that I had completely misunderstood what Wim was telling us.

It turns out that in the Bioscapes movie, each clip of several seconds' length was actually generated from a single stack of source images, using Zerene Stacker's synthetic shift function.

When I first saw the movie, I had briefly considered the possibility of synthetic motion. But on careful contemplation I became convinced that it was not possible because of the large distance moved. In fact I became so convinced that eventually I wrote to Wim asking how he did the physical camera motion. I think he had to tell me four times before I finally comprehended that the motion was entirely synthetic. (I still shake my head that it works so well. There is something magical about mold and high-NA objectives.)
Rylee Isitt wrote:Wow. So how many shutters have you worn out so far?
I wondered too! But the answer is none at all, at least for this work. Of those "400 stacks of +300 images", only one stack was actually shot. The rest were reprocessings of the real stack.

--Rik

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic