"Catcher in the Rye?"

Lets get to know each other better. Here's a forum to post images and short autobiographies of ourselves as well as any other info you would like to post about yourself.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Ken Ramos

"Catcher in the Rye?"

Post by Ken Ramos »

It seems that anytime someone does something really awful, like hack someone up into managable pieces with a hatchet or the like, they have or were reading that book. Just got my copy today by the way! :lol:

Well anyway, if you are familar with this book then these images should remind you of it in a way. The terrain here is trecherous and if one does not watch or know where they are going, a wrong decision in direction could be your very last, if it were not for the fact that safe guards have been put in place here for the public.

If this looks familar to some of you, it could be that you have seen this area in a movie at one time. "The Last of the Mohegans" was filmed here.

This is Chimney Rock Park, it costs to get in here and that is why I stood outside to take this image :lol: . Anyway, notice that the sheer rock cliffs or bluffs are obscured by forest. As one might would be walking along through an area such as this, they would not know the bluffs or cliffs were there until they were either upon them or off them! :shock: But not to fear, all provisions for you to have a safe and enjoyable experience here have been seen to and taken care of.

This second image depicts a much more dangerous area outside the park. The terrain is rounded, making it far more dangerous than if it were just a sharp drop off. Once you begin sliding in an area like this there is usually no hope unless you can grab on to something and pull yourself back up. That rarely happens however because the rate of descent and speed you acquire in just a short moment of time is quite sufficent, that you will miss anything that you might could grab with the exception of your last breath. :shock: Most folks succumb to deacceleration trauma at the bottom. It seems like every year someone gets hurt or worse from falls in these mountains, not necessarily in the place I have featured here though. These rock outcroppings or bluffs are rounded and quite common in the mountainous terrain, people want to look over the edge of them...well, they have no edge and that is why folks get hurt. :( Even though, these mountains are still a marvelous place to visit and explore, if done with some common sense and a little caution. :D

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

This is a beautiful area, Ken, but I gotta tell you, that rock scares me just looking at the pictures. 8-[

--Rik

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Rik wrote:
This is a beautiful area, Ken, but I gotta tell you, that rock scares me just looking at the pictures. 8-[

--Rik
Look closely at the first image, there are buildings in it and a two or three story scaffoled stairway leading up the trail on the bluff. This should give you an even better idea of the magnitude of the bluffs size. Just on the otherside of that bluff there is a 400 ft. waterfall, called Hickory Nut Falls. It is something to see in the winter time because it freezes. :D Chimney Rock has been around since I was a kid or as far back as I can remember and I don't think that I have ever heard of anyone falling off it but that is not to say someone has not fallen off it though. :roll:

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Yeah, I saw those. Nice scale. And I know that if I were standing right at one of those nice firm guardrails, I'd feel just fine. No danger, no fear. Take away the guardrail, add some soil -- just a little, mind you, enough to slip on -- and maybe a bit of gusty wind, and I'll decide the view looks just fine from farther back.

--Rik

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

If I am not mistaken, now I have never been up there but have seen photos, there is a catwalk with a chainlink fence along it, that runs the fracture line you see in the middle of the bluff. This should take you over to Hickory Nut Falls. I am planning on going up there one day soon, probably around the first week of July since I will be on vacation then. If I do, you can count on a series of images. Especially since I have acquired that new wide angle zoom. :wink:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic