Pink Rhododendrons

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Ken Ramos

Pink Rhododendrons

Post by Ken Ramos »

Wouldn't you know it...gotta new lens to play with and it's raining today. :( However, while at Mt. Mitchell, yesterday, I shot this image of the Pink Rhododendrons with it. There are very large purple ones too but these little pink ones are the most beautiful, I think. :D

Pink Rhododendrons
EOS 30D
Manual mode/hand held
1/125 sec. @ f/11 ISO 100
Canon EF 28-135mm Wide Angle Zoom @ 135mm
430EX Speedlite
Cloudy, extreme overcast, fog, cold, you name it, except snow, etc... :roll:

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Beautiful photo Ken. I love these plants. I do believe it is a Mountain laurel, Kalmia latifolia. Not sure if it is related to Rhododendrons. They have springloaded stamens that pop up when a bee comes to pollinate the flower. You can see it in the picture. 10 stamen with their anthers are stuck into little groves, as the insect lands on the flower they shoot out and pollinate the bee which pollinates the next flower. from what I read, all parts of the plants are poisonous and the honey made from this plant is toxic. :shock: Stick your finger in the flower and see what happens :wink: Mountain-laurel is the state flower of Connecticut and Pennsylvania.
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Poison! :shock: Never knew that. I had a sling shot, that is what we called them, though not technically a sling, made from one of the forked branches of these things, back when I was a kid. I wasn't allowed a BB gun so I made a sling shot. It was pretty stout and could through a black walnut about a half block or farther with the Goodyear heavy duty rubber bands I had on it. Used an old leather shoe tounge for a pocket. I tell ya Doug, those black walnuts did more damage than a BB gun. They would take a chunk of hide off of whatever I hit with them. Later on I got hold of some really large steel ball bearings, talk about artillary and they would go out of sight when launched from the sling shot. :wink:

Thanks Doug :D

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

yea, we called them slingshots also. I remember getting into trouble with mine a couple of times. We used strips from bicycle inner tubes. Life was different back then. You could disappear all day, and as long as you got home at 5:00 for dinner, you were OK. :lol:
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Doug replied:
Life was different back then. You could disappear all day, and as long as you got home at 5:00 for dinner, you were OK. :lol:
Yeah, weren't those the days. Now you stay gone for a half and hour and they put out an "amber alert." Of course no one bothered kids back then, I guess we were just to mean to put up with, always being ran off for doing something we shouldn't. Like sticking "taters" up the tail pipes of peoples cars and stuffing mean old tomcats in mail boxes and putt'n the flag up. :lol:

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

beetleman wrote:I do believe it is a Mountain laurel, Kalmia latifolia. Not sure if it is related to Rhododendrons.
I agree. Same family: Ericaceae. Along with the Pacific madrone, manzanita, heather, and blueberry. A tiny family with huge variation.

Very pretty picture! :D I would prefer to see it brighter, though. Photoshop histogram confirms that it's dark -- no values above 196, aside from a few specular highlights. Easily fixed with a levels adjustment stretching 0-198 to 0-255.

I really envy your trip to the mountains, Ken. The high country is still snowed in up here, but I'm getting my pack ready!

--Rik

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic