I can't believe it happened again. Defective Mitutoyo 10.

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

abpho

I can't believe it happened again. Defective Mitutoyo 10.

Post by abpho »

I am shaking right now. I can't believe this happened again. I purchased a second Mitutoyo 10x from the same place where I purchased my Mits 5x. It came to $740CND after shipping, duties, and exchange. The final price was a big surprise. I did not realize that the exchange rate had gone this bad. I should have anticipated Canadian Customs wanting their "fair" as well. If only I could buy locally. Canada sucks.

Here is a single frame test shot with the Mits 10x on a Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II lens and an EOS 5D2 camera. The image looks just as bad when viewed through the view finder. Mirror lock up, 2 second delay, remote trigger, and flash at 1/8 power (1/4300 sec effective shutter speed). You have all seen my work. I know what I am doing. This is not human error.

Shots form inside the lens:

And a comparison to the Mitutoyo 5x:

I have already contacted the seller. I needed to talk to someone about this.

Happy Thanksgiving (Canadian version) everyone. I should have tested this after the family came over. :(
Last edited by abpho on Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm in Canada! Isn't that weird?

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

:cry:

That quantity of debris inside the lens suggests that it has been disassembled, and by somebody who had no clue what they were doing. As we know now, any disassembly of these apo's will significantly degrade the image. This one appears to have been completely ruined.

Keep us informed, please.

--Rik

johan

Post by johan »

:(

I feel for you because you know exactly what you're doing and you've been sold a dud. When and if the chenannegans are over, please let the community know who sold this to you, and what they did about it. This just isn't right for such a pricey item.

-Johan
My extreme-macro.co.uk site, a learning site. Your comments and input there would be gratefully appreciated.

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

I've tested a fair number of lenses for myself and others, and some of these lenses needed to go back to the seller. But I've never encountered an objective remotely as bad what you're showing here. Not even close.

Do, please, keep us informed. We need to know who sold you this, and how they treat you in resolving the issue. Here's hoping that the answer will be, "Very, very well."

--Chris

Yousef Alhabshi

Post by Yousef Alhabshi »

Sorry to hear about your bad experience.. hope they will resolve it as soon as possible :(

harisA

Post by harisA »

I'm sorry to hear that.I have been in your position before and i know is really frustrating.There are people who have no idea what they are selling,sometimes it's obvious from the photos of their listing that the objective is damaged,but still ask ridicoulus prices.(Mostly ebay sellers from Asia)
Please let us know place where you bought the objective.

daemonoropsis

Post by daemonoropsis »

Oh no :cry:

abpho

Post by abpho »

I have news.

Jeff from LightGlass Optics rushed me a replacement lens. No questions asked. I had emailed him the same shots that I posted here. I can't say how much a relief that was. I keep thinking back to my last experience dealing with a return. I highly recommend dealing with him.

The replacement lens looks magnificent. It could pass as brand new. It also came with the nice weighted base that I have on my Mits 5x.

Inside view:

I did a quick test shot. It is currently stacking.
Last edited by abpho on Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

abpho

Post by abpho »

The replacement lens is the newer design. Here is a shot of the defective one:

abpho

Post by abpho »

200 image stack. Shot in JPEG. No post work. This is a screen capture of the image while being viewed at 100%. Slightly down and left from centre.

Looks good to me.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Looks great -- thanks for the update!

--Rik

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic