In your face, Mr. Butterfly!

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Mike B in OKlahoma

In your face, Mr. Butterfly!

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

I was not too far from Rik's turf last week, in Eastern and Central Washington state, and one day I shot this Lorquin's Admiral puddling. He was extremely preoccupied, and let me get really close--This is full frame (on a 1.6 crop body) with my 180mm macro lens, yet it is NOT a controlled situation.

I'm not a big butterfly person, and even less so West of the Rockies, so I wouldn't bet my life on my ID (I'll post a more conventional photo of him later so any experts can help me out if I'm off-base).

Lorquin's Admiral
180mm macro
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Very nice, Mike. :D

The ID is almost certainly correct. Medium-large black butterfly with a white band down the middle of both wings and red front wingtips, in eastern/central Washington -- there's only one. But sure, let's see the conventional photo!

--Rik

salden

Post by salden »

Hey Mike

Nice portrait of the BF. You have to catch BFs at the right time or they are very flighty. This is a nice face image.
Sue Alden

Danny

Post by Danny »

Brilliant sharp details with nice lighting mike. Impressive shot and a great ratio. Have to love the eye m8t, just brilliant IMO.

Danny.
Worry about the image that comes out of the box, rather than the box itself.

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Would ja' jus' look at this! :o Mike shooting butterflies...awwww! Really a surpise Mike since you are noted to be a snake and lizard kind'a guy. Super shot! :D

Mike B in OKlahoma

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

Ken Ramos wrote:Would ja' jus' look at this! :o Mike shooting butterflies...awwww! Really a surpise Mike since you are noted to be a snake and lizard kind'a guy. Super shot! :D
I fell off in the past year, but I am quite a bug-lover also--But I usually disdain to shoot "glamour girls" (Butterflies and moths). In truth, it's not because they're pretty and popular (like the girls who snubbed me in high school, heh-heh), but because they are so d@mn hard to get a shot of 'cause they move around so much! This one was so stay-puttish I got a shot even though I was actually on my way to photograph Indian petroglyphs (which I'll put up here later).
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

No matter what you shoot Mike, they always look incredible. A beautiful head study.
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic