can 'enough' stacking save a non flat field objective?

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Cactusdave

Post by Cactusdave »

The horizontal rolling bands are most likely due to the inadequate dimming circuit used to control the brightness of the LED in your stereo's illuminator. Fluorescent ring lights can cause similar problems. See : http://www.mikewoodconsulting.com/artic ... utters.pdf
Leitz Ortholux 1, Zeiss standard, Nikon Diaphot inverted, Canon photographic gear

ckatosmith

Post by ckatosmith »

Thank you, Pau and Cactus Dave.

I will try to upload a photo of the horizontal bands when I return home. I don't remember if I had the same bands with the Nikon E200 microscope also, or just with the Celestron stereomicroscope (which I think has a horseshoe shaped fluorescent bulb).

If I understand correctly, I did not know one could place a camera-tube openly over a removed binocular head. I will investigate that when I get home. After seeing a photo on the Cognisys site (George Lepp/snowflake setup article), I thought to also try the StackShot vertically, using my Gitzo tripod/RRS ballhead set upon a copy stand I had.

Maybe I can place the Nikon E200 microscope on the copy stand below this vertical setup with the binocular head removed? hmmmm. So I should just use D800/bellows/Raynox DCR-150?

Oh, and I am adding a Nikon PK11-A between the camera body and bellows for peace of mind.

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

ckatosmith wrote:Maybe I can place the Nikon E200 microscope on the copy stand below this vertical setup with the binocular head removed? hmmmm. So I should just use D800/bellows/Raynox DCR-150
Yes, that's the idea
Pau

ckatosmith

Post by ckatosmith »

Thank you, Pau!

I removed the binocular head from the Nikon E200 and placed the D800E/bellows/Raynox lens over the objective and was excited to see the setup works. So much nicer to have the stage adjustments and quick rough focus with the microscope focus knobs instead of pushing a slide around by hand over an led light and moving StackShot up and down to find the Start/Stop positions.

I'm eager to try a slide stack tomorrow.

I also bought an inexpensive mini level (but German made and calibrated, Stabila) to better align the D800 sensor parallel to the slide since the StackShot is on a RRS ball head.

Thank you again.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic