Root Boring Weevil Portrait

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

abpho

Root Boring Weevil Portrait

Post by abpho »

I believe this is a Root Boring Weevil (Cyphocleonus achates).

Enjoy.

I am listing my notes from the shoot in case anyone wants to know.
  • *This is a slight crop of a 5:1 magnification stack using a Mitutoyo 5x M plan objective on a Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L tube lens with a 5D2 full frame camera. The 200L was used at f/2.8, focused to infinity.
  • *112 images at 20µm step size. The resulting depth of field is around 2.24mm.
  • *For the background I used a tan coloured rock which closely matched the weevil's body colouring.
  • *For the lighting I used a Canon 430EXII speedlite fired at the 12 o'clock position at 1/16 power (~1/5000sec effective shutter speed) through a styrofoam cup diffuser.
  • *ISO100.
  • *1/160sec shutter speed.
  • *Liveview (EFCS) after 2 second delay.
  • *Remote cable.
  • *Shot in RAW. Processed in ACR. Stacked into PMAX and DMAP images. Edited in Photoshop.
I'm in Canada! Isn't that weird?

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

Nicely done! These 'medium' snouted weevils always make me think of dogs..

abpho

Post by abpho »

No long snout weevils in this area to report. Have not seen any in the 5 years I have been doing macro. Not full time mind you, but at least I am looking down when I walk.

There was one weevil. Very tiny. 2-3mm body length. It might have had a snout that could be considered long. But wayyyyy to tiny for me to bother photographing.

canonian

Post by canonian »

Beautiful... and not at all boring...

Yousef Alhabshi

Post by Yousef Alhabshi »

Interesting subject & over all the image looks so great.

BTW, I thought Canon cams wouldn't trigger the flash if the silent mode option is activated?

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Yousef Alhabshi wrote:BTW, I thought Canon cams wouldn't trigger the flash if the silent mode option is activated?
If the camera realizes that a flash is mounted, it automatically drops out of live view just long enough to take the picture. This adds a lot of vibration, but then that's frozen out by the short effective exposure time.

--Rik

abpho

Post by abpho »

Yousef Alhabshi wrote:Interesting subject & over all the image looks so great.
Thanks.
Yousef Alhabshi wrote:BTW, I thought Canon cams wouldn't trigger the flash if the silent mode option is activated?
I have no idea. I guess I better do some research into the subject. How else would you do it? Using a constant light source? So, EFCS is only without the flash hooked up?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic