Close-up lenses as tube lenses: Raynox.....

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Peter De Smidt

Close-up lenses as tube lenses: Raynox.....

Post by Peter De Smidt »

Rick recently posted a comparison of a Raynox DCR-150 versus dedicated tube lenses. The reversed Raynox did a better job, especially in the corners.
I wouldn't mind giving something similar a try, although I'd prefer something with 52mm filters. Are the multi-element Canon or Hoya 5 diopter close-up lenses likely to work ok?

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

They're worth a shot if you have one lying around. If I recall correctly, the famed "morfanon" was a 2-element cemented achromat. In my last round of testing, I included a lens of similar design, the 172mm A. Jaegers achromat (Surplus Shed L12237). It wasn't as good as the Raynox and I can't think of any reason to recommend it, but it wasn't a disaster either.

On a quick look at prices, the Hoya 52mm +5 Diopter 2-Element Multi Coated Close-Up Lens is selling today at Adorama for $140, versus the Raynox DCR-150 for $70. The Hoya is wider than it needs to be for this application, and as a tradeoff it has 2 fewer surfaces for aberration correction and costs twice as much. Offhand I'd be surprised if it turned out to be a winner in the competition, but it would be interesting to see a test.

--Rik

Peter De Smidt

Post by Peter De Smidt »

Thanks, Rik. I'll see what I can scrounge up. Currently, I use a Nikon AIS 200F4 as a tube lens on my D600. I haven't played around with extending the microscope objective farther in front of tube lens. Currently, it's very close, as it's mounted on a flat 52mm-Mitutoyo adapter plate.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Currently, I use a Nikon AIS 200F4 as a tube lens on my D600. I haven't played around with extending the microscope objective farther in front of tube lens. Currently, it's very close, as it's mounted on a flat 52mm-Mitutoyo adapter plate.
Closer is better in this case. If you move the objective farther from a telephoto used as tube lens, you'll just make vignetting more likely. The official tube lenses and the Raynox are designed to tolerate or even prefer extra extension, but telephotos are different. A lot of telephotos will vignette even at closest mounting.

--Rik

Peter De Smidt

Post by Peter De Smidt »

Good! That saves me from wasting some time. Thanks!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic