Nice cockroaches

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

christerb

Nice cockroaches

Post by christerb »

Hi,

Although cockroaches may not be the most appreciated bugs, in my eyes they can be rather nice. While observing these I got the impression that they were male and female of the same species. However, I haven't been able to ID them, so I could be wrong.

Regards,

Christer

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Seeing as how I don't carry or own a clipboard, I am not an expert :-k but there are marked differences between the two. Quite colorful indeed. Oftentimes we associate roaches with filth, at least I do anyway, still there is to be a lot learned from them. Nice photos. :)

christerb

Post by christerb »

Thanks Ken,

I am guilty of feeling the same when hearing/reading the word cockroach. Since this appear to be a rainforest species, they should be considered as "clean" as another bug there :D

Regards,

Christer

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

...a rainforest species, they should be considered as "clean" as another bug there.
I find cockroaches living in the woodland here too and basicly I feel the same but I suppose that is the stigma applied to roaches, that of being guilty by association with filth. I at one time considered dissecting one, to examine the contents of the gut for various protozoans but I just can't bring myself to it. :lol:

pbertner

Post by pbertner »

Having worked extensively in rainforest habitats I have to say that my entire demeanour towards cockroaches has changed. Indeed some are incredibly beautiful. Like the iridescent cockroach from Vietnam below. Cockroaches among many other insects can exhibit quite a bit of sexual dimorphism so it is quite possible the two are male and female. However, it's also very easy to make a judgment error with sympatric species. Lovely roaches in either case.

Paul

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Paul wrote:
... it's also very easy to make a judgment error with sympatric species.
I just got finished studying over sympatric species. Made my head hurt along with all the other "patric's" that there are. :lol:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic