Any Ideas?

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

DaveW

Any Ideas?

Post by DaveW »

Any ideas what this is? I was trying to photograph some small Waterboatmen in my pond and saw this on the end of a blade of grass in my viewfinder. Sorry it is such a poor picture but the water was murky and the object and grass are underwater.

This was what I was trying to photograph, a baby Waterboatman.

DaveW

Gordon C. Snelling

Post by Gordon C. Snelling »

It looks like the cast off skin of a juvenile mayfly.

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

The boatman has sort of a 3D look to it there Dave and you could not possibly ask for a cleaner background. I like the angle at which it sits in the frame, a bit soft though but the boatman looks really nice. :D

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

It's a bit soft Ken because it is under the cloudy water. As you will note only it's backside and two front claws have broken the surface and are sharp.

The water is that browny colour as I mud lined the pond to make it more natural after I had put a black polythene liner in. I just filled it with rainwater from the water butt and left it to mature a year or go.

There are no fish in it to eat the insects and just a frog has taken up residence. I seem to have water-boatmen breeding now and some pond skaters. I am still waiting for frogspawn and tadpoles, but none yet.

DaveW

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Hmm...an ecosystem in the process of developing. That should make for some very interesting photographs as time goes by for sure Dave. :D

Danny

Post by Danny »

Phew, considering the circumstances Dave, excellent work IMO. Very unique and well taken.

All the best Dave and clever shooting and seeing. Impressive.

Danny.
Worry about the image that comes out of the box, rather than the box itself.

Mike B in OKlahoma

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

Good spotting of a strange-looking subject. I guess the feathery things on the end were the gills.
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

We do not get too many underwater macro photos. What do you mean by the glass being underwater? Very interesting & different Dave :wink:
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Mike B in OKlahoma

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

beetleman wrote:We do not get too many underwater macro photos. What do you mean by the glass being underwater? Very interesting & different Dave :wink:
Read again--He said the gRass was underwater! :)
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic