"You've got mail!" (said the spider to the fly)

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

"You've got mail!" (said the spider to the fly)

Post by rjlittlefield »

Strictly a grab shot. I was writing some stuff to post elsewhere, and just when I got to the part about how spiders generally don't jerk my "fight or flight" strings anymore, this little guy popped in. I thought it was amusing.

By the way... You may have noticed there's nothing approaching "white" in this image. This bothers me from an aesthetic standpoint, but it's correct and it's unavoidable. That nice "white" that monitors put out is actually just well balanced spots of red, green, and blue. Look at the screen through a magnifying glass, and it looks like this.

Another amusing observation... By unaided eye, the vertically oriented legs of the little fellow were brightly colored -- and the color depended on where my eye was! Move the head, flash the legs -- quite trippy! :D You can see what was happening, in the picture above. The legs are just about two phosphors wide. If they covered up red and blue, as shown here, what's left is green -- "Look, Ma, green legs!". Change the parallax a little, they cover up green and blue, and now it's "What the heck, red legs?!"

Sorry...I'm easily amused. :D

--Rik
Technical: Canon SD700 IS in macro mode, ISO 80, auto everything else. Photoshop says 1/30 sec, f/2.8.

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

So...it's raining at your house too, huh Rik? :lol:

crotermund

Post by crotermund »

Rik -
I found this picture to be a cool and funny capture. The spider has a 2 dimensional appearance to him. If someone didn't know any better upon viewing this they might actually think it was part of your mail page. Your analysis of the monitor, phosphors, & how the spiders translucent legs came to be the color they are takes a simple picture and turns it into an interesting story. BTW - you mentioned, "there's nothing approaching white in this image". I would check again, lower right corner... :wink:
Craig Rotermund
Canon 30D
Sigma 150mm

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

crotermund wrote:BTW - you mentioned, "there's nothing approaching white in this image". I would check again, lower right corner... :wink:
Dang, busted! :lol: :lol: :lol:

(Excellent catch!)

--Rik

MacroLuv

Post by MacroLuv »

Hey, you can count pixels on this one! :shock:
This spider obviously prefer digital! :lol:
The meaning of beauty is in sharing with others.

P.S.
Noticing of my "a" and "the" and other grammar
errors are welcome. :D

Danny

Post by Danny »

:D :lol: I keep saying I love unique shots, well just look at this will ya. :wink: Absolutely magic grab shot Rik. LOL, very clever sir :D

Danny.
Worry about the image that comes out of the box, rather than the box itself.

Mike B in OKlahoma

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

What a catch!

This ought to be cover image for next month!
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic