Acilius sulcatus larva

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

gpmatthews

Acilius sulcatus larva

Post by gpmatthews »

This is a water beetle larva. Total length about 2.5 cm (1 inch). Found in a pond at my local nature reserve. A busy little chap.

The first image is using a Wild M8 stereo zoom microscope. The other two are macros taken with the camera plus an add-on lens from the scrap box. Both of these show the larva at rest taking air at the surface film.

I wasn't sure whether to put these in the micro or macro forum, but as I started with a micro image, this is where they ended up.
Graham

Though we lean upon the same balustrade, the colours of the mountain are different.

Wim van Egmond

Post by Wim van Egmond »

Graham!

It is an extreme wide angle micrograph! :)

Cute beasty! Did you also make a close up?

Wim

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

I would say they came out rather nice Graham. Gets me thinking of making a small thin aquarium, maybe 6"x 6" , 1" wide out of window glass and taking macro shots of aquatic insects. :-k . I have seen them use something like that to take pictures of fish.
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

gpmatthews

Post by gpmatthews »

Wim, I was not greatly successful with my attempts at closer views, but here is one for the record:

As for aquaria for macrophotography - here are what I use. They are about a centimetre in depth. Ruler propped up behind for an idea of the other dimensions

I also have some plastic lidded cells that are quite useful (originally from Millipore, the filter company):

... although the top views of this insect were taken in an open dish.
Graham

Though we lean upon the same balustrade, the colours of the mountain are different.

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

I guess I am thinking to big :wink: That larvae has four eyes :shock:
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

gpmatthews

Post by gpmatthews »

I think the features that can be seen around the eye area are actually highlights on the antenna segments and that it should only have two eyes - a bit tricky to interpret around the dark patches. Sorry I don't have a better close-up.
Graham

Wim van Egmond

Post by Wim van Egmond »

Nice! It is an amazing animal. I remember Charlie made a picture of this animal with that strange smile. :)

I have used such a small aquarium in th epast. I should use it again. It is important to have good optical glass! Not just windowglass. If only for the side you photograph through.

Wim

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Hhmm... I'm thinking four eyes. This is a larva, so no compound eyes, just (in this case) real big ocelli. I can't find any solid references about this, but the pictures here look pretty clear -- not just the closeup but the outline in pic #2 of the first set.

--Rik

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic