Canon 6D EFSC vibration test

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Pau
Site Admin

Canon 6D EFSC vibration test

Post by Pau »

After the unexpected bad experience (*) with vibration blur with the Canon 60D in LV silent mode, a problem not present in most EOS bodies (including my 7D) (**) I was curious about the new relatively affordable full frame 6D, on paper a very desirable camera for macro and micro photographers, so I picked my brother's just bought 6D for few days.
My first impression was not good: the noise at the expossure start is much heavier than the 7D one.

I hooked it to my Zeiss Standard microscope to test it at different magnifications and expossure times. In principle the maximum vibration blur is to be expected around 1/60s to 1/15s while with long times as 2s most vibration must be damped not affecting the image.

All my tests results show the same: no vibration blur with EFSC :D
This is one of the results:
Taken with a 40X 0.70 NPL Fluotar Leitz objective, total magnification on sensor 100X, Brightfield oblique illumination. 100% (actual pixels) crop. Just converted from RAW with DPP without any aditional PP.
Be aware that the diatom Pleurosigma is a classic test object for 40X objectives. All visible resolution is present in the pictures.

Of course, shotting without EFSC the images are blured as expected.

(*) http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... 6665#76665

(**) http://krebsmicro.com/Canon_EFSC/index.html
Pau

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Thanks for the test Pau. I have been wondering about the Canon FF EFSC performance. I'm a little confused about one of your first statements:

"My first impression was not good: the noise at the expossure start is much heavier than the 7D one"

Under what conditions did the 6D look worse than the 7D?

Thanks again...Ray

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

ray_parkhurst wrote:"My first impression was not good: the noise at the expossure start is much heavier than the 7D one"

Under what conditions did the 6D look worse than the 7D?
I wondered about this too. After several readings, I concluded that probably Pau's first impression was based on the audible sound alone, but then the images looked good despite the louder noise. I'll be interested to learn if that interpretation was right.

--Rik

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Ray, Rik,
Yes my "first impression" refers to the sound at the expossure start when I hand holded the camera before testing it. Of course it also happens during the tests but after an afternoon testing it I was unable to see any vibration induced blur.
Sorry if I didn't write it enough clear
Pau

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

No worries Pau, I just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something important about your observations. Thanks again for the test...Ray

Guido

Post by Guido »

I did read somewere that EFSC is turned off if a flash is used.

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Guido,
Yes, if the camera detects a Canon compatible flash it disables EFSC. With generic flashes it's not disabled but the flash doesn't fire because it needs the shutter signal to synchronise.
Pau

Fredlab

Post by Fredlab »

Hello

With flash, you don't need EFSC...
lighting is really short, so it freezes all movements.
I apologise for my poor english
My blog (Macro Micro World)
My gallery

Fredlab

Post by Fredlab »

I can confirm : EFSC with EOS 500D & 550D is efficient
(to link with another discussion)
I apologise for my poor english
My blog (Macro Micro World)
My gallery

Guido

Post by Guido »

Fredlab wrote:Hello

With flash, you don't need EFSC...
lighting is really short, so it freezes all movements.
I often try to get the amount flash and ambient light in balance. In that case a problem could occur.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic